Wetsuit suggestion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warted, What temp range do you typically dive in?? Your Arctic is a 7/5, correct?

I'm looking at either an Kodiak-Merino 8/6 or an Merino-Elastiprene 7 for use in northern IL quarries (60-65F) and Lake Michigan (<60F), with the addition on a hooded vest for the big lake!

Thansk,
SSSSteve

Steve,
I would try on a kodiak first. I'm glad I did, it is probably the most difficult suit to get into. my pinnacle 7/5 has gone down into the 40's and done its job. I would recommend a hooded vest to go underneath it for that extra toastiness. YMMV.

Have had several O'Neills. Gave them away in preference for Pinnacle. I have the 3mm, 5mm, and 7mm and wife has 5mm. These are the best wet suits I've worn and would definitely go with the Seal 3mm.

Steve,

If you're diving quarries and the Great Lakes you'll be seeing a lot of 7mm FJ/J and drysuits.

We've been talking on another thread about some good deals on Bare Nex-Gen 2007 models and Pinnacle Freedoms. For the price, you may just want to go this way.

I own an ME7 from Pinnacles and their wetsuits are top notch for both quality and durability. did I mention warmth?

I use my suit with a 3mm heated torso plus 3mm hooded vest both Merino. I wear 4mm kevlar gloves and 6mm boots both Merino.

Dive one, 59 minutes at 52 degrees towards the last 10 minutes of my dive my hands are really cold and uncomfortable, the rest of my body is nice and warm escpecially the chest and back.

Dive two, 45 minutes at 52 degees after a surface interval of almost 2 hours, I'm uncomfortable cold in the hands, arms and towards the end of the dive my feet froze.

Dive three, are you kidden?

My suit has about 60 dives so it could be the boots and gloves are going. The rest of the suit is so durable it looks like new, I kid you not. But then again I always babied my suit.

My suit is now retired in the garage and I own a complete DUI CLX 450 drysuit. I haven't dove dry yet so I don't know the difference.

So back to your original question I would go with the Seal 3mm, I almost purchsed one the other day because I plan on diving Florida, Tampa area. But when I spoke to the Floridians they told me most locals do 5mm in the winter and 3mm in the summer.

Maybe you should see which month you are going to hit and make your call.

Oh yeah, some divers will dive a 7mm in the winter in Florida just for you to know...

Another vote for the Pinnacle - I have the Kodiak for NE quarry diving (40+) and I have the Merino Wool 3mm seal for tropical vacations. I'm short and it comes in long and short sizes, so it fits perfectly and looks good too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom