Wetsuit/Skin/Nothing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MDColson

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be coming down in a couple weeks to dive (hopefully a lot) in sunny south florida. Up here in connecticut I dive nothing but a 7mm wetsuit (with many who only dive dry). What is common for florida summer diving, for someone who handles cold well? Is a dive skin really necessary? Are the jellies/corals really that big of a problem? Or should I be ok with a tshirt under my BC?

Mark

Temps here are in the mid-80's right now, so you can get by in just a bathing suit. I tend to go that way or to wear a skin if I hear about jellies/sea lice, etc. (or if my skin's clean!)

Sea lice are a bigger problem earlier in the season, and are worse under a t-shirt (the shirt compresses them, making them sting.)

I like the skin for both little irritating stings and for the knee protection when I'm on the bottom.

Hope it helps,
Grier

GrierHPharmD:
Temps here are in the mid-80's right now, so you can get by in just a bathing suit. I tend to go that way or to wear a skin if I hear about jellies/sea lice, etc. (or if my skin's clean!)

Sea lice are a bigger problem earlier in the season, and are worse under a t-shirt (the shirt compresses them, making them sting.)

I like the skin for both little irritating stings and for the knee protection when I'm on the bottomGrier

You northerners must be really cold tolerant. Mid 80s for me requires a 4x3 ml or at least a full 3. I guess if you're doing one dive per day you may get by on a skin but....brrrrrr.

Nothin' wrong with a little added insulation. I guess I've got enough of my own organic insulation to take care of things.

Hank49:
You northerners must be really cold tolerant. Mid 80s for me requires a 4x3 ml or at least a full 3. I guess if you're doing one dive per day you may get by on a skin but....brrrrrr.

Notherners nothin! I'm a Southwest FL Native and you wont catch me in neoprene or spandex beyond shorts! To dang hot!!!

Here is the best way to avoid Sea Lice, Dont wear any bathing ssuit, skins or wetsuit.

I was just in Belize and water temps are the same as here in Fla and only wore skins in 85 degree waters there.

Hank49:

NEKKID DIVIN' ! YEEEHA!!! Does that go with the "everything looks bigger underwater" theory?

I went diving off Key Largo and Miami June 22 and 24th and twice decided to wear nothing underwater. It was truly great and I hope to do it again in 13 days...

Roger

MDColson:
I'll be coming down in a couple weeks to dive (hopefully a lot) in sunny south florida. Up here in connecticut I dive nothing but a 7mm wetsuit (with many who only dive dry). What is common for florida summer diving, for someone who handles cold well? Is a dive skin really necessary? Are the jellies/corals really that big of a problem? Or should I be ok with a tshirt under my BC?

Mark

When it is above 78 I usually wear a surf rash guard and shorts, anything else and I'm way to hot.

//Hoot

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom