Wetsuit Sizing

Do You Think Larger Sizes Would Sell?

• Yes as I know 2 or more divers that could use them

Votes: 58 38.7%
  • Yes I think there is a need for this

Votes: 38 25.3%
  • Yes because I have seen many large divers

Votes: 30 20.0%
  • No, I think only the skinny should dive.

Votes: 24 16.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems that a lot of things in this world happen according to the infamous Bell Curve....people range in height from short to tall pretty much according to the curve. Same goes for weight.

I haven't done a study, but I'm willing to bet that if you look at all the variations of the human body, then try to plot that information out on a Bell Curve, it would wind up being a 3-dimensional (or maybe even multi-dimensional) curve. Too weird to even think about.

I would also be willing to bet that's exactly what all the wetsuit makers do. Instead of getting a headache trying to figure out every possible combination of human dimensions that could possibly need a wetsuit, they go for the center of the Curve, and send everyone else to the custom makers. This probably works most of the time for most of the people.

I originally bought a Henderson Gold which is a marvelous piece of work, except it didn't fit my body in a few places and wound up trapping too much air. I finally broke down and ordered a Harvey's titanium custom fit. The price difference was $388 to $520. I don't know that I'm ecstatic about spending the extra money, but I would have to say it's worth it for the fit. I just wish Harvey's would figure out how to make that nice gold lining so that the suit would slide on easily when wet.

2¢.

You can get Harveys with a slick lining - I think theirs in coblat blue instead of gold, but basically the same thing, a polyeurethane spray applied to the inside of n1s neoprene to reduce friction while maintaining a good seal.

I'm of the opinion that if an off the rack suit doesn't fit then a custom suit is the best option. The cost isn't that much different and the fit is much better than any off the rack suit.

Scott

CheeseWhiz......You can also order custom suits, including the Gold Core, from Henderson. I believe they charge an extra $50 for the service.

I am not exceptionaly tall or large, 6'1" and 210 but I always hated wearing wetsuits, to tight and hard to get on. I ordered a suit from Liquid Fit and it is the best fitting suit yet. They custom fit them to your needs and do an excellent job of it. Mine slides on and off with ease and is very warm. And best of all I actually paid less for it than I have for some off the shelf suits that I have bought and did not fit half as good. If you are looking for a great fitting suit visit their site at liquidfit.com

I've got 2 LiquidFit wetsuits and love them! They fit like a second skin and the platinum lining makes getting them one a breeze... even on a rocking boat.

I don't know if Liquid Fit will do this, but Aquaflite adjusted my suit for discrepancies in size in my right side and left side. I'm not exactly symmetrical because of all my orthopedic injuries and surgeries, and for a small fee, they made each side different so there's no gap anywhere in the suit because of the size difference.

I've been on both sides of this one too. I spent two years with an off-the-rack men's suit that I despised. I passed up many good wreck dive opportunities just because I didn't want to deal with the blasted thing. At every opportunity I would pull my hair, curse and rail against the sadistic-neofascist-mysogenistic-puppy-hating manufacturers who clearly wanted all women to be Jennifer Anistonesque.

Then I spent the extra $75 for a custom suit (from the same maunfacturer, BTW) and I've had to eat my words. It still fits like a dream 8 years later, no pantyhose, powder or lubricant involved. I'm now wholeheartedly with Scuba_adventure et al. Fitting wetsuits is not like fitting clothes and stocking up to size 28, or down to 4'10" won't fix a thing. In fact, IMHO, it makes it worse.

Just beacuse a diver fits in a wetsuit doesn't mean it fits them. To work, a wetsuit has to cover like a second skin. If the neck is just a smidgen too high or the sleeves just a little too loose or the shoulders just a wee bit tight or the butt just a little saggy (not an issue for me:tease: ) one ends up cold, constricted, and uncomfortable and having much less fun on a dive and thinking they don't like cool water diving.

My beef now is that the capitalist-pig-money-worshippers are promoting off the rack suits because we are a convenience oriented society. They make a truckload more money when someone can walk away with what they want right away and are afraid of losing sales to the one-size-fits-no-one, but-you-can-have-it-and-go-diving-tomorrow theory, so they cave in to the uninformed public demand and sell stuff that is not great, but will do, sort of, for 75% of divers. Lowest common denominator.

So, now Syruss, why can't big or short folks can't get an off the rack dry suit shell? What is their excuse?:wink:

Oh hey, Ladycute--please go get that suit. If you don't do it, they win! Please don't let that happen! Measurements can be taken by a tailor/seamstress; get the order form and take it to a professional with whom you are comfortable.

I agree that there are more sizes needed and that the sizes that are out there be more realistical in there actual size. I had a 2x farmer john and had to go to a 3x onepiece. I will staywith the onepiece as the FJ made it difficult to breathe. I beleive that I saw in a Henderson catalog 4-5x sizes but only in the Gold. The LDS would order them and it would take 3-4wks.to come in. I also found that with a 5mm instead of 6.5mm that I had I was able to stay warm and move/breath easier.

bottom line is I would like to see the manufacturers support the over/under sizes and stop using underfed and tall models that do not dive.

Larger wetsuits seem like a great idea: I have seen some divers, male and female, that can't fit into the largest suit on the rack, XXXL on the men's side. I am sure that it is not easy being a larger individual, whether it be for diving equipment or just regular everyday stuff. Manufacturers should address this and open the doors to a new segment of society.

Back
Top Bottom