Wetsuit Sizing

Do You Think Larger Sizes Would Sell?

• Yes as I know 2 or more divers that could use them

Votes: 58 38.7%
  • Yes I think there is a need for this

Votes: 38 25.3%
  • Yes because I have seen many large divers

Votes: 30 20.0%
  • No, I think only the skinny should dive.

Votes: 24 16.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm quite lucky. For most mfg and off the rack medium is a great fit. I'm 5'9" & about 165lbs. I've a 7mil Bare Extreme and a 3 mil Mares, both 1 piece full suits and they're both a great fit.
My wife on the other handis much harder to fit. She's also 5'9", about 140lbs. My suits fit here almost as well as they fit me (a little tight in the hips :D ) and I bought here tha same 3mil MAres that I use as it has enough stretch. Finding here a thicker suit has been a problem. In order to get the height it's at least a ladies 12, most mfg a 14, and they fit fine till you get to her legs. Lower leg isn't a bad fit, but there's almost 1.5 to 2 inches of loose material around her thighs.
From the conversation her, it sounds like custom is the way to go. Our LDS never mentioned custom wetsuits, even though almost all they sell in a drysuit is custom. Hmmm. Of course, I could be the hero of the day, if I broke down and bought her a drysuit.

I don't think however, that there's enough demand for the mfg's to start offering more extensive size options. If they don't see demand for a certain number per year of a certain size/shape suit, it's not going to be built.

Hi people,

Lucky that you're in USA...in europe the largest size is Mares XXXL. And it's REALLY small. They only have custome made ones for the larger sizes.
I only dive in the tropics...but after multiple dives...you get uncomfortable.
So I am thinking of buying a wetsuit. I have a shorty surfsuit. Not sure if I can use it?!?

Anyway I am still regretting not buying a custommade wetsuit in Thailand.

But right now I am considering the following wetsuit. AKONA 3mm Wetsuit in 4 XL. Is this a good suit? Is there anyother wetsuit that's cheaper in these large sizes?
A 1MM wetsuit in this large size is also OK for me.

The Henderson Hyperstretch XXXL...is it possible to fit a 6'2 300 lbs(135KG) man?

Ok, my turn....

I'm 6'3", 285lbs. 40 inch waist and 52 inch chest. Built like Batman with love handles...LOL. I have large chest, large biceps, and large thighs/calves... small wrists, ankles. I have always had to squeeze into ill-fitting wetsuits.

I recently found a LDS that had the Akona 3mm in a 5XL!!

Tried it on, and it fit reasonably well, maybe a little snug in the crotch. I think I'm gonna get it and use it for the time being, until I can get a custom made - because of the price break.

I only wish now that Akona made the same 5XL size in a 5mm. I'm thinking that 3mm is too lite for quarry/cold lake dives? LDS guy told me that it would be just fine. I know that a 7mm would be too much, too bulky.

What's your opinion?

I guess I'll never find a wetsuit to fit me right. 7' 310lbs. I currently am using a EVO shortie in XXXL that works pretty well. I was told there is a custom fit in Houston anybody ever deal with them and how do I get a hold of them?

Exposure suit was the hardest gear purchase for me. I'm 5'9" and around 250. Everything out there that was close to a decent fit was for guys the were 6'2" plus.

I went custom after shopping the local LDSs and getting sticker shock for customized off-the-rack. Even the LDSs I spoke to knew they were not going to be able to get me in a suit for cheap.

I purchased on-line from AquaFlite . I had more options than a rack suit (color, style, zippers, seals, hood, etc...). Quality was good. I bought a 7mm Farmer John/Jacket. I liked it so much I went back and bought a 3mm One-piece for my upcoming cruise. Ed Rodgers was terrific on service and called me to confirm each order and discuss it with me before the neoprene hit the cutting table. All things considered, they were reasonably competitive with off-the-rack brands I looked at.

I'm 6' 290... my LDS didn't have anything that would fit me to rent for when I did my OW dives, so they suggested that it may be a good idea to see if I could find a suit since the quarry, we wer going to would have charged me $80. for the weekend.

I got a tip to use Leisure Pro and found a 5X 3mm Akona for about $100.00 (I also ordered a 4x to try and it was a bit too snug) The 5X fits perfectly! and for $20. more I own it!

More companies should make the larger suits, there IS a market for it!!!

Get a drysuit!

They come in all sorts of sizes, and don't require a skin-tight fit.

Terry

syruss32:
Hey can everyone give me your opinion on this, with as many divers on here maybe we can be a force for change in the dive industry!

First off I have to tell you that I am a relatively new diver. I have been diving since August and have only 21 dives in.

I have been diving mostly at a local scuba park here in Texas and have met some really good people. I have also met quite a few divers at ScubaBoard. One thing that I have noticed is that there are a lot of people who are of large stature diving. Most of the dive buddies I have dove with are large guys and of the 4 women that I have dove with 3 of them are pretty large too.

My question is why is the dive industry so limited in options for us? My wife is going to start diving soon and needs a wetsuit in the say 18/20 size. NOBODY makes them and many of the girls that I have dove with are as big as my wife and they have to get mens sizes.

Then there are the men. I am 6' 1" and just a tad over 300 and a 4X shorty fits pretty well. But would like to get a full suit, and almost nobody makes anything larger than a XXXL unless you go with a custom made one or a 6.5/7mil farmer john.

This is not very helpfull. At my size I have all the boyancy I need I don't want to add more with a wetsuit that is twice as thick and would cause me to be hot all the time.

So I am posting this so that maybe the makers of wetsuits could see that there is a market here that no one is catering too.

If you question this go to some local dive sites, heck come on down to Texas and I will take you to meet the locals so you can see these people spend a lot of money on gear and such and often end up spending hundreds extra to go with a custom fit when you can make it for half of that and sell them and make your profit margin.

I would recommend being to first to make womens sizes 18-22 and mens 3mil full suits to say 5x. I will be the first one in line to buy one of each!

Please pass this on to your marketing staff!

I am an advocate of custom fitted wetsuits even if you are not just about to fall off the edge of the bell curve. There are just too many variables to consider and even if only slightly ill fitting it can be a huge annoyance.

I was fortunate to have a neoprene tailor in town but, you know, there really weren't any adjustments (save a tuck on the hood) during the glued but not sewn fitting so I think mail order with no fitting session is fine as others have pointed out. I think the measuring procedure is well enough refined. It is not that much more expensive for a whole lot more enjoyment.

Some other companies that that pay homage to physical diversity are Zeagle (custom sized BCs) and ForceFin (XXXL fins).

Hi,

This is a topic I can really relate to! I am 5' 11" and apx 185lbs (all muscle though, of course LOL :wink: ) I think I checked out every wetsuit manufacturer on the planet. Scubapro has a women's XXL that accomodates heights of 5' 11" to 6' 1", and weight of 175+. Woo Hoo! That's me! I didn't have to wait for a custom suit, or do all that measuring (why on earth do they need to know how far it is from nipple to nipple?) and there is no 'specialty' charge for the larger size.

Here is the link Scubapro I think you'll be happy; I know I am!

N2Baja:
Hi,

This is a topic I can really relate to! I am 5' 11" and apx 185lbs (all muscle though, of course LOL :wink: )
At 5' 11" I wouldn't consider that over much.
I didn't have to wait for a custom suit, or do all that measuring (why on earth do they need to know how far it is from nipple to nipple?)
I would assume so they can make a comfortable fitting suit. :eyebrow: I have noted over the years that some women have "wider" chests than others and just a circumference measurement does not tell the whole story. I guess you could hold them in place with your hands if you wanted the "push up" cut. :wink:

Had a heck of a time finding a suit to fit my wife. Anything large enough (she's 5' 8") generally had way to much room in the upper leg and seat. Ended up going with a mens medium after having her try on my suit on the spur of the moment one day. A little snug in the chest area, but overall a good fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom