Wetsuit Sizing

Do You Think Larger Sizes Would Sell?

• Yes as I know 2 or more divers that could use them

Votes: 58 38.4%
  • Yes I think there is a need for this

Votes: 39 25.8%
  • Yes because I have seen many large divers

Votes: 30 19.9%
  • No, I think only the skinny should dive.

Votes: 24 15.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys have to understand something (LDS Defense)

Big people come in many sizes and shapes. People carry their weight in different places. From our perspective as a dive shop who always has an Akona 4 and 5X on the floor, we can do nothing else in some cases than to refer someone to a custom suit manufacturer. Usually it only takes once for a large person to try on an Akona for them to realize that it does not fit properly everywhere and go for the custom outfit.

Liquid fit is a great company. We refer nearly all of our business to them because they are in the Kansas City area.

Sometimes the guy behind the counter really does know what he is talking about.

Originally posted by scuba_adventurer
You guys have to understand something (LDS Defense)

Big people come in many sizes and shapes. People carry their weight in different places. From our perspective as a dive shop who always has an Akona 4 and 5X on the floor, we can do nothing else in some cases than to refer someone to a custom suit manufacturer. Usually it only takes once for a large person to try on an Akona for them to realize that it does not fit properly everywhere and go for the custom outfit.

Liquid fit is a great company. We refer nearly all of our business to them because they are in the Kansas City area.

Sometimes the guy behind the counter really does know what he is talking about.

I don't disagree with that. My beef is with the makers more than the LDS's though most don't carry even 3X from what I have seen. But manufacturers are missing a boat here!

Can't agree more with the thoughts here. While I've never been skinny, only in a wetsuit am I considered "XXXL", and they are virtually impossible to find. My SO also is having serious problems.

I think that the manufacturers are loosing major business. One of these days they'll catch up with reality.

Scuab adventurer - I agree with you, and thank you for addressing this issue in your shop in an appropriate manner. In fact you illustrate my point.

My LDS (the better of the only two in my area) carries nothing larger than a 2x in wetsuits - and had I been less savvy about the possibility that I might find more options via the internet - they may have talked me into the custom suit for $700.

From what I have read on their websites and heard here and on other boards - Liquid Fit and Aquaflite are quality company's with quality merchandise. Like you suggested- had my LDS pointed me in their direction - or even stated that their one custom outlet may not have been my best option, they would have done a lot to win my customer loyalty.

Hey - let's face it - larger guys and gals like myself realize they may not have many, if any, options 'off the rack'. It's nice to know that some retailors are aware of this. I am willing to pay more for quality merchandise that is sized correctly for me - and will patronize a retailor that looks to deal with me fairly in this area.

Ok - off the soap box......<S>

:) I received my custom suit today and it fits great. The hood isn't such a great fit, but they'll fix that. The suit itself is great. while it took at least 15 minutes to struggle into a poorly fitting off the rack suit, and wore me out in the process, this one went on easily, but is still nice and snug. Having the curves all in the right places makes a huge difference. I'm diving in it this weekend and I'll find out how good it really is.

You can count me among the frustrated on this issue.

I am a large size woman... (I wear a woman's size 28) I don't htink there is a wet suit available to fit me... (other than custom).

I have done pretty well with water aerobic leggings sold by Junonia.com (a plus size women's athletic wear company) and a 1.5 ml neoprene jacket in a woman's size 3XL from H2OWEAR.COM. However, this 'outfit' pretty much limits me to warm water diving.

I know I need to go custom... but, I just haven't had the nerve to deal with all the measurement angst.

By the way, I just completed the PADI Rescue Diver course... and I can't stop myself from bragging!!!

Liz

Thanks Bob...

I checked out the website you suggested and I looked at their sizes....

Still won't work for me....

I am a large woman, but I am still shaped like a woman.... albeit a very GENEROUS hour glass..... (ok, ok... maybe more like a year - glass).....

Anyway, their women's 2XL was a woman's size 14 --- ROFLMAO.... as I mentioned in an earlier post I wear a women's 28... I suppose I could get two......

So, I looked at the men's extra large sizes.... unfortunately, they are shaped like MEN.... imagine that! Broad shoulders... and somewhat more narrow hips... even big men, usually have hips that get narrower.,... my hips curve out...

So, it looks like custom is my choice... and frankly, after seeing the prices on the men's large sizes.... a custom from Liquid Fit won't cost me any more!!!

CONGRATULATIONS ladycute1 for completing your rescue diver course. That's a big accomplishment.

I just tried my custom suit from Aquaflite, and I think it was worth the investment. I spent a lot of money, but it fit so well!!!

I was toasty warm and very comfortable. A success story.

Back
Top Bottom