Wetsuit Sizing

Do You Think Larger Sizes Would Sell?

• Yes as I know 2 or more divers that could use them

Votes: 58 38.4%
  • Yes I think there is a need for this

Votes: 39 25.8%
  • Yes because I have seen many large divers

Votes: 30 19.9%
  • No, I think only the skinny should dive.

Votes: 24 15.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

at least, skinny and tall, like me. The off the rack suits that fit my height are too large in the torso. I suppose I could take creatine and go to the gym but I took the easy way out and got a custom from aquaflite, instead.:)

My beef is that nothing is standard even for a standard.

By going to the measurement charts, I am XL in one company, the next I'm a 2XL another a short XL.

I have this same problem in street clothes. How does a 18 in one manufacture turn in to a 22 in another?

When I order street clothes, I often have to send them back, even though in theory they should fit because I checked the chart before ordering.

Do I have confidence that a dive suit will be right if I order one on-line or in a catelog? Nope, I guess and hope it fits.

I finally found a local Minnesota shop that does carry through a 5XL. Yeah! My previous shop in Maryland only carried a 2-14 womens.

I agree with you guys, wetsuit manufacturers need to produce a greater diversity in their sizes. Not only larger sizes, but mixed sizes. For example, I am 5'10 and weigh about 165, with skinny legs and no butt, but I have a 44 inch chest (I'm a guy, don't get excited :wink:). Try finding a stock wetsuit that fits a body THAT screwed up! LOL I realize that an XL shorty and M long johns will work just fine, but I would really like to find a one piece that would work. It's never gonna happen, because manufacturers try to stay as close to the center of the bell curve as they can where size is concerned, but it would be nice to NOT have to go to the expense of a custom wetsuit. OH well, shoulda laid off the 'roids in college! Just kidding.

Billy

Just in case you're interested, here's the address of one of the places I know. I've seen their work and it's very good. So are their prices.

ATTICO WET SUITS MFG
245 West Beaver Creek
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
1-905-881-9629

Talk to Trilly Lam.

Hope this helps someone out. I've been described as fairly close to normal size and I've found sizing differs from brand to brand, depending upon whom they use for a base model.

The debate on sizing your wetsuit is interesting. I took in all the advice here when ordering one recently.

I went to Aquaflite, based in Florida. Their website is http://www.aquaflite.com/

All of the instructions for custom ordering were very clear; the fitting form was easy to follow with lots of guidance.

Best of all, my custom suit (6.5 mm Oceanliner full suit with jacket and hood) was with me 5 days from my faxed order. Outstanding!

Does it do the trick - well I dived at Lake Rawlings this weekend (52 F) and never felt a moment's cold (and I'm skinny and vulnerable to cold!) The fit and finish are excellent. One big thumbs up to Aquaflite. Minor downside? It took 34 pounds of lead to get me under water - there's some buoyancy in that new neoprene.

I have a 4 XL Akona 7mm

Being in Ontario, where temps in the St. Lawrence round this time of year are in the high 40's to low 50's, and never go much higher than the high 60's- it works just fine.

I was lucky- picked it up near to new (I was the only person who ever rented it) for $200 Cdn (that is $130 USD) incl taxes

I agree that the off the shelf sizes don't fit many people perfectly, but I think the issue is more one of needing variety in sizing than in needing bigger sizes. S, M, and XXL are all great sizes for t-shirts, but wetsuits need to fit right to work right. Maybe the solution would be sizing similar to how pants are done... 34x40 or 38x30 or what have you. If each piece of a two piece were sized for both length and girth, and the two pieces were meant to be sold seperately rather than as one "XL" suit, I think it would be much easier for all of us.

In the mean time, I'm a big fan of my custom SAS wetsuit.

I Really dont want people to take this the wrong way or be offended

but Why not head off to the Gym and do the Body For Life Program

www.bodyforlife.com

You will feel better, look better, Dive better and you will have less chance of developing a nasty case of DCS and ending up in the Chamber.

Or you can get one Custom made, it only costs about $100 more

Chris

You have got to be kidding! You sound just like the folks who refuse to realize we are made differently.

I do not fit the "barbie" ideal and I do work out and I have excellent health (i.e., blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.) I have hiked the Grand Canyon, up and down. I have done a half-marathon, I can outdance you in 3 inch heels for hours.

I am also 5'2", have 38Ds and hips to match. I like my curves and so does everyone I date.

Don't be so judgmental. People are made differently, grow up!

The diving industry is like the fashion industry. Sex sells unfortunately. Look at the catalogs of the manufacturers. The models are these anorexic looking women and the guys look like Lloyd Bridges in "Shark Hunter". Also, in the minds of some in the dive industry, only those people who are remarkably physically fit are candidates for scuba training. In fact we have an instructor here in my hometown who will not train anyone if they are overweight, or smokers.

We have a ways to go. Luckily not everyone feels this way. Perhaps writing to the various dive publications like Rodale's Scuba Diving Mgazine or Skin Diver will make a difference also check with the companies that manufacture the wet suits and gear. I for one would sign a petition putting an end to the descrimination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom