Wetsuit shrinkage??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nuts4diving

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've lost 50 lbs in the past year, and just tried on my 3 mil wetsuit to see if I needed to buy a smaller one. I was shocked when it was too tight! I haven't worn this wetsuit in about 4 years (usually my diving calls for a drysuit or a shorty--not much in between). I was about 40 lbs heavier (and several sizes larger) when I last wore this wetsuit--do wetsuits really shrink that much??? Out of curiosity, a tried on another 3 mil that was originally slightly larger than the first, and it was too tight as well. It's an older one (8 years old, maybe?), and has been used alot more.

Mary Helen

The rubber loses it's elasticity after a while.

Not sure if it actually shrinks, but it definitely stops stretching as much.

Terry

nuts4diving:
I've lost 50 lbs in the past year, and just tried on my 3 mil wetsuit to see if I needed to buy a smaller one. I was shocked when it was too tight! I haven't worn this wetsuit in about 4 years (usually my diving calls for a drysuit or a shorty--not much in between). I was about 40 lbs heavier (and several sizes larger) when I last wore this wetsuit--do wetsuits really shrink that much??? Out of curiosity, a tried on another 3 mil that was originally slightly larger than the first, and it was too tight as well. It's an older one (8 years old, maybe?), and has been used alot more.

Mary Helen

Also, since you usually don't wear a full suit, perhaps you've forgotten how tight they feel? Just a thought.

Although this is not true in your case, I find there is an direct correlation between weight gain and wetsuit shrinkage... the more weight I gain the more my wetsuit shrinks!

Paco:
Also, since you usually don't wear a full suit, perhaps you've forgotten how tight they feel? Just a thought.

I just bought a new one--same brand, but two sizes smaller by the tag. I know how they fit! I could not dive in my old one now--it was hurting my shoulders it was so tight--and definitely would not even be able to have gotten it on at my old weight had it been this size. It definitely shrank.

The guy at the store told me wetsuits can shrink 5-10% in 5 years!

drbill:
Although this is not true in your case, I find there is an direct correlation between weight gain and wetsuit shrinkage... the more weight I gain the more my wetsuit shrinks!

I've noticed the same problem with weight belts....most of our customers are (smallish) Japanese, so most of our weight belts are sized accordingly. I had one belt just for me, which I labelled "Chris"....that's my name, so that seemed like a good label for it. However, that belt seemed to have shrunk quite a bit last year, so I had to "upgrade" to one of my few belts labelled "long," which are usually for visiting Americans/Europeans/Sumo wrestlers, etc. I'm hoping after the New Year, when I get back into running & such, my old belt might "unshrink" & I'll be able to use it again, ha ha.

I had shrinkage in my boots. 15 years of no diving. I tried them on and no way. New Deep Sea Safe Soles for me :)

Carl

maybe your scale is off? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom