Wetsuit Seam Repair Advice Please....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just dove my brand new 5mm Pinnacle suit this past trip to Costa Rica, and while I was on the dive boat I snagged one of the seams on a sharp nail and severed it. Basically it looks like the seam is all scrunched up. I'm wondering how I go about repairing such a thing, I know if I just leave it it probably will get worse. Its a section about 1" that is affected. Do I just take it to a normal seamstress, do they know how to sew blind stitches into a wetsuit? Can they even get into the thigh area with a sewing machine?

Advice please!

You have to do a blind stitch. A regular seamstress normally wouldn't use a blind stitching machine. Since it is a small area you can just do it yourself by hand. Go to a sewing store and get a curved blind stiching needle and nylon thread equivalent to what is on the suit now.

You will need to get some neoprene glue (I once saw a brand called Black Witch but anything where the solvent smells like it will do serious brain damage and has a rubber base will probably work) and glue the seam back together first.

You can also ask around to see if anyone in your area does wetsuit repairs and modifications.
Often a suit shop will do the repair for a good price and do a very nice job.

I usually do my own repairs with hand needle and neoprene cement but they don't look as nice as the ones done by the pros.

It may not look pretty but I just get some seemstress thread and a little glue and sew my own repairs. I even sew cuts in the suit that dont go all the way tru.

I dont use a machine thought just some thick curved needles.

I see that you're right, its blind stiched. I just took it to the LDS, he says that the stitching is on both sides, and does not really hold it together, that the glue is what is actually holding it together, from that webpage you showed me i guess its a bit of both, but in any event the LDS said that they would glue it for free. They said that I just need to glue, not re-sew.

I just want to clarify, its only the actual thread that is severed, the seam did not come apart at all. The guy at the LDS said the other option is to just tie off the extra thread and leave it be. I'm worried that it might unravel further, and thus I'm considering the glue.
Should I go ahead and glue it? Its gonna be ugly and black I assume.

Why would they want to glue it if the glued seam is still intact? I don't quite follow that. In any case, a dive shop really is not who you want to repair it. They will repair it like they would their rentals, quick and dirty. If you have no wetsuit shop local to you get the curved needle (and a small pair of needle nose pliers) and learn how to do the stitch. Since it is small it is a good DIY project. When I watched my neoprene tailor make repairs she has a small bottle of glue with a pin hole nozzle. She puts a drop of glue at the end of the stitch after tying it off so it won't unravel.

yeah, you guys are right, the LDS said it would look ugly, maybe I'll go and get the needle and give it a shot, alternatively, the thread in there is not pulled all the way out, I could just tie it off, cut the excess and put a dab of glue on it like your tailor did, do you know what kind of glue that was?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom