Wetsuit recommendations for specific diving environments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got an email from my LDS today saying that if I wanted a Pinnacle suit with the other gear that I was considering buying, they would knock 25% off!

That makes the Elite $292...the cruiser would be less than $140. The Pinnacle Edge would be about $250. The Edge is a full 7MM suit with an attached hood.

What are the pros and cons of an attached hood vs one that is not attached?

Jeraldcook, that was a good explanation on using a shorty underneath - the neck seal stuff, thanks.

Suits with attached hoods are great if you dive very cold water and don't have the money for a drysuit. The Edge is an awesome suit, but it is a semi-dry suit, so it is going to make you very toasty. Thats great in very cold water, but if you ever dive in water above 65*, my opinion is it would be too much suit. And diving without the hood up is a major PITA, very uncomfortable. I don't like wearing a hood unless it's really cold. In short, they're great, but less versatile.
BUT, last year when I dove Maui, I had a 3mm on and was toasty warm. The DM has on a 7mm with attached hood because she got cold easy. If you get cold easy, get the Edge, if not, get the Cruiser. I don't think the Merino lining is worth an extra $150 for the Elite when you could get a vest/hood combo with Merino for less. Although if money wasn't a concern, I would have bought the Elite. You can always open up the neck seal and let in some cold water if you get too warm.

I am cold natured...not particularly fond of the cold. That's why I don't have any immediate plans for cold water diving. I have to admit, though, that my first open water dive during certification, it was snowing. And the water wasn't that bad...

I am debating in my mind whether or not I may prefer 7MM in the extremities or if 5MM will be enough.

But to get the 7MM in a Pinnacle, it has to be the Edge. And I don't think I would prefer the attached hood.

Right now, it's probably a choice between the Elite and the Cruiser. While the cruiser is alot cheaper, the Elite should be warmer with the Merino torso...looks like it has a little better sealing system called the NEW Pinnacle Defense System, too.

Mike,

Have you seen the Neosport 7mm farmer john and jacket at Scubatoys or Leisurepro? For the price, it wouldn't be hard to swallow buying one and then getting a dry suit somewhere down the line. The farmer john/jacket is somewhat versatile. You could probably wear only the top and be ok in a "warmer" lake. I just bought one of these and am very happy with it. Neosport is apparently part of Henderson.

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in on the farmer john suggestion. I dove farmer johns back when I rented my gear and you couldn't pay me to dive one now. Personally, I don't think they're that versatile. Here's why:

If I want 7mm on my torso and legs, the water is cold enough that my arms are going to get cold without the top.

If I wear the top half, 7mm on my torso, arms, crotch region, my legs got cold.

Plus, you have 14mm on your chest so you need extra weight compared to a one-piece.

And, they usually don't have a good neck seal like a one-piece does so I always had water movement down my neck. People must wear them cause there are a ton for sell, but I personally don't care for them.

Jerald,

I understand where you're coming from but I think for 80% of Mike's diving he can wear the full john/jacket anyway. I'm assuming the water temps he's facing are similar to our Great Lakes and quarry diving here in Michigan. I don't know anything about the water temp in the Atlantic there though.

I did my AOW dives at Bainbridge Quarry two weekends ago. This is just south of Harrisburg and I would imagine the conditions are similar to Dutch Springs. The water temp at 95' was 46 degrees when we did the deep dive. I used a Henderson semi-dry suit which has an attached hood, 7mm hyperstretch gloves and 7mm gold core boots. The only thing that got cold was the parts of my face in contact with the water and my ankles below the wetsuit. The zipper on the boots let a little water in. I used the same suit for the other dives staying in water in the 60 to 70 degree range and never felt like I was getting overheated.
Several people in the class wearing farmer john/jacket suits with seperate hoods were cold.
There are several other brands of semi-dry suits on the market which incorporate the attached hood and tighter ankle and wrist seals. If you can find one of these that fit you well, you may find it keeps you warmer then the seperate pieces of a farmer john/jacket/hood.
The only things I would change if I were doing it over would be to get the 7 mm gold core gloves (they seem to bit tougher) and try boots without zippers either the henderson hyperstretch or XS SCUBA Pyrostretch.

NJMike:
Got an email from my LDS today saying that if I wanted a Pinnacle suit with the other gear that I was considering buying, they would knock 25% off!

That makes the Elite $292...the cruiser would be less than $140. The Pinnacle Edge would be about $250. The Edge is a full 7MM suit with an attached hood.

What are the pros and cons of an attached hood vs one that is not attached?

Jeraldcook, that was a good explanation on using a shorty underneath - the neck seal stuff, thanks.

Mike, I dive using the Pinnacle Extreme - it's a 8/6 "semi-dry" with attached hood. You'll get a lot of "semi-dry is like semi pregnant..." comments. The concept is it has seals at the wrist and ankles to restrict water flow through the suit. Yes you get wet. I use it year round diving at Dutch and the Jersey shore. I love the suit and it keeps me very comfortable. The coldest water I've dove with it is 40 F.

JR

I was using the 2 pc Farmer John deal cause that's the only the LDS rents. They sell Pinnacle, not sure what else, but they are an Oceanic dealer and can get the Oceanic Ultra 7mm.

Right now I am leaning heavily toward the Elite. It's a 1 pc 7/5, double seals at the wrist and ankles, the Merino torso...and a good price, to say nothing about the fact that it is a good suit.

Now, shall I dare say that I am intentionally avoiding buying online...like at LeisurePro? I have read a lot of the posts about supporting your LDS. Before I read all the posts and became aware of the discussion, I went out and bought a dive computer because Dutch Springs required a "timing device" and I didn't have one.

So I shopped online and .. you guessed it - the best price was at LeisurePro. So I bought it and I do like it. Then I started reading, my friend started telling me, I went to send in the warranty card and...what? It's not an Oceanic warranty ... it's .... it's a LeisurePro warranty.

Hmm. That's not what I thought I was getting.

So, if...if...I ever need warranty work, I can't honestly say what kind of service I can expect. I just don't know. After all, I DO NOT HAVE A MANUFACTURER WARRANTY.

Cerich, if you read this, my apologies, I lived and learned.

So that's my take on it. If the LSD... oops, meant LDS doesn't sell, he doesn't stay in business. And quite frankly, this LDS is situated perfectly for me.

One other thing, I did check prices on the Pinnacle Elite and did not see it on LeisurePros website. Also, the LDS is giving me 25% off the suit if I buy it with the rest of the equipment I'm getting.

Can't complain about that.

you might also want to check into the henderson goldcore. I use a 3mm for diving the springs up here in north florida and it works like a charm, i bet a 7mm would work good for you up in NJ, it is also noted on the board that it is one of the warmer wetsuits on the market, which i can back up. Anti-microbial lining, keeps it smelling new too which is always a plus. When picking a wetsuit thought you want to look for fit and comfort first before anything.

Back
Top Bottom