Wetsuit Recommendation for a Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pwierz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just got my certification and one of my first purchases is going to be a wetsuit but I wanted to get some more experienced opinions before I go out and buy one. I asked my instructors but they either tended to be more thin-blooded than me (they're from FL, I'm from Boston) or would try to sell me whatever was in stock. I'm looking to buy a wetsuit that would have maximum flexibility. I plan dive in South Florida year-round and in MA during the summer. What would you recommend for my situation? Also, I tend to be pretty thick-blooded (I have yet to get cold in the water). 7mm? 5/4/3? 3mm Farmer Johns and a shorty? Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the boards.

I am not sure as how to answer your question as I do not know what the water temps are in the summer in Boston. I would think you could get by easly with a 4/3 or a 3mm suit. You can alwasy add layers to it if needed in Boston. Good luck and once again welcome to the diving family

I just read that you thick blooded then in florida you might get by in a set of lycra skins but I am still not sure if a 3mm would be enough for boston summer waters.

Don't know Boston summer temp but 3mm works very nice in florida.
Boston seems like it would have fairly cool water temps even in summer?:huh:
Mabey even 7mm temps? or dry suit?
could you give avg. water temp for Boston summer?

Temps in Boston in the summer will get into the low 70s in the summer but I was warned that there is a pretty sudden thermocline that can drop the temp to the 50s after a couple dozen feet.

Would a 3mm be enough for Fl right now? On my open water dives in Ft Lauderdale in late Jan and Mid Feb I wore either farmer Johns and a shorty or a 3mm on top of a 3mm (is that normal? I thought it was bizarre). The instructors seemed to imply that anything less than that would be way too little. But they're Floridians and might not be as used to cold temps as a new englander.

It is true that a person who dives in an area regularly becomes acclimated to a certain temp. range.
For instance when I was in Hawaii the dive masters wore 5mm full suits while I was quite comfortable in a 3mm shorty suit in 80f water.
But that being said I usually take the advice of the people who dive that area regularly.
As far as Boston summers go low 70's is probably 7mm weather. At least thats what I'd wear in that temp. Generally I wear a dry suit if temp gets much below 70f.
Hope this helps.

I forgot to mention I dive mostly dual steel tanks so the dry suit is more often than not mandatory.

Exposure protection is 100% personal in nature. What is warm for some will be cold for others, and vice versa.

Personally, I wear a 5mil full suit in water cooler than 80 degrees. Over 80 degrees I wear a 3mil full suit, unless I'm doing repetitive diving, then I might wear my 5mil full up to about 82-83 degrees. On the other hand, my husband is comfortable in a 3mil full suit down to about 73 degrees whether he's diving repetitively or only 2 tanks.

Unfortunately for you, you're going to have to figure out what you need for yourself. Usually the best recommendation is to buy layers so you can configure yourself anyway you need to depending on the conditions at the time.

I say go with the layers! I am poor and went with a long 3mm when I was living in Costa Rica last year, diving in the Pacific can get pretty cold. I'm a small woman though and tend to get darn cold in most water. I think different types of suits fit different bodies better as well.
I would buy for the type of diving you are going to do more frequently. Honestly, I didn't buy anything but a mask and snorkle until after I had over 30 dives. Some folks like to collect the gear though.

The farmer john 3mm and 3mm shortie sounds like your best option. It gives you the most flexibility. I do recommend the hood for the cold stuff. For the poorer, Divers Direct hooked me up with the best suit for $80.

Have fun!

MA is pretty much 7mm territory. I always wore 7mm farmer john + 7mm shorty, mostly because that's what everyone seemed to wear. I could have probably done with less especially for summer/fall but not 3mm. I don't get cold easily, a lot of the year in FL I would be in Lycra or 1mm.

Back
Top Bottom