wetsuit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjcurry

Reaction score
hi their

i have a 3 mill full body wet suit and im going to be diving cold lake waters and i hvae an old wet suit pants type thing thats much thicker then the 3 mill and i was thinking if i wore the pants over the 3 mill would it be warm or does layering not work. i am thinking of buying a short with hood combo to go over the pants to make it almost like a full suit thanks!

You can buy a 7 mil full for around $120 (us), throw in hood, gloves and boots another $100, and BAM, you are now set up with brand new gear for some cold water diving. It's what I did, good luck.

Layering works (as long as you can still move. :)) It's best if you can do it in a way that prevents "scooping" water. You want to get the extra thickness over your core rather than all on your arms or legs.

Well I can tell you that a wear a full farmer john top and bottom 7.5 mil with a matching hood I use 3 mill gloves with 1 mill index finger and thumb. Witch gives me 15 mil on my core and when I get in 40-degree water I know its cold. I would say do it right or not at all.

mjcurry:
hi their

i have a 3 mill full body wet suit and im going to be diving cold lake waters and i hvae an old wet suit pants type thing thats much thicker then the 3 mill and i was thinking if i wore the pants over the 3 mill would it be warm or does layering not work. i am thinking of buying a short with hood combo to go over the pants to make it almost like a full suit thanks!

Layering absolutely does work but the layers must fit so as not to scoop water (as mentioned) and so the water between the layers stays there more or less. If the "pants' you describe could be worn under the fullsuit (unlikely) you would have a solid membrane and it could help a lot.

Keep in mind that you arms will (should) be still and they are the first place I feel cold. Good gloves and a nice warm core hep forgive a lot of that but I still find the arms to be the weakest link and 3mm won't feel like much a depth.

Pete

There are two major ways to get cold.

1. You can keep trying to heat the ocean, one drop at a time, by having water exchange between the water inside your suit and outside. Layering so that seams and zippers in one layer do not line up with those in the other layer will be a big help in avoiding this. Avoiding scoops is also a big help.

2. You can conduct heat right through the neoprene. Layering works here too.

If I was going to buy a wetsuit, it would be the heavy stuff unless I was sure I about what I needed. You can always partially unzip if you are overheating underwater.

I have found that, dollar for dollar, a hood is the most effective single thing. I have a 7mm goldcore hood that appears to have magic properties. A hooded vest may be just the ticket for you.

Back
Top Bottom