Wetsuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Kraken. Level of comfort is personal. A beanie is a good choice. I always wear one, regardless of the temp. It also keeps the mask strap from getting tangled in my hair and helps to keep hair out from under the mask skirt allowing water to leak in.
I dove 79 F water with a 3 mm shorty over a skin and the beanie. May look strange depending on the color combination, but I was comfortable. (I don't like my full 3mm.)
As the day and week progresses and the more dives you do, the cooler the water will start to feel. Definitely get/stay warm in between dives.

I have a 2MM Shorty and only used it once last year in HI. Wouldn't you know, wacked my shin on a rock in the surf. Would have loved the protection of full 3 mm.

Just got back from Curacao. Only wore the 3 mm full suit even though the water temp was 84-86. Some folks in shorties came up with some issue from fire coral.

My recommendation is to always wear a full wet suit.

You know, it's possible that maybe the wetsuit you had on just plain didn't fit you. Before I rule out wetsuits I'd try some other brands and see if they're better fitting. It's amazing how often changing brands will make a world of difference.

Lisa, diving with or without the suit is totally dependent on the dive & conditions. One major bonus of a wetsuit however is its inherent buoyancy. If involved in a rescue (rescuer, assistant, or or even victim) it greatly assists.

Opt for a suit that best suits your current needs. Primarily, what temp water will you dive regularly? 70-90 3mm, 50-70 7mm. Don't stop a just the dive shops... check out local surf shops. My most comfortable 3mm suit is my Quicksilver 3/2 that doubles as a winter surf wetsuit.

Don't over/under weight. Taken Peak Performance Buoyancy yet? Do it. Each thickness of suit requires its own weight management in relation to your body weight.

Word of caution on Cozumel. Get in touch with the local dive shops, ask some questions before booking the trip. Remember, they just got smacked pretty hard by Hurricane Wilma.

Happy diving
Bobby

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all of the different perpectives:)

Regarding Cozumel.... yeah, believe me, I've been keeping a close eye on the situation. Will either reschedule or go somewhere else now and Cozumel later. I don't want to wait to long for my first dive trip, because I really want to practice my skills since I just took the class.

Lisa0825:
My plan was to go to Cozumel Nov 12. I don't know if I will postpone it or change the location. I won't be going very deep to begin with. My certification dives were only down to 28 ft, and I want to ease myself into deeper dives while I develop skills and comfort level.

I wouldn't go without at least a skin in Cozumel. I'm attaching a photo of my hand after returning from Cozumel. The horrible, itchy mess was caused by brushing against a hydriod coming out of a relatively dark swimthrough. New divers brush against a lot of things and I think you can imagine what could happen to you if you bumped something nasty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom