Wetsuit numbers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will need at least 2 suits.

Your lakes near home will have cold water in the 40s below the thermocline. That demands at least a 7mm set with 2X on the core. Most would consider this valid drysuit diving. If you are lanning an extended season (why not?) then you really are looking at a drysuit at some point.

Some shallow dives may be nicely made in a 5mm suit. with a hooded vest.

As for FL that's not my ball of wax but I'd expect 7mm to 3mm depending on the specific time and dive. I now of divers who have chosen to dive dry even in that region.

Pete

Rosewater:
Hi all. I am very new to this, but I plan on getting certified before next summer (Have to save the $$). Is there a chart somewhere explaining what temps wetsuits are good for? My diving is going to be split between the Florida panhandle and Mid-west lakes and quarries. Not sure if I will need 2 wetsuits or just a 3mm with a hooded vest. If anyone has any pointers on wetsuit temp protection please let me know. Thank you.

Rose

Rosewater:
I know nothing about drysuits, beyond the fact that they keep water out.

I think I'll start with a 5mm and a hooded vest for now. Just layer up except in Florida. I'm not even certified yet, so staying around 40 feet will be good for quite a while after the certification. Since I'm larger I want to go ahead and get my suit before certification.

I dove in Florida once. I didn't need a wetsuit then, but didn't get further down then 35 feet.

Starting with conservative dives is good and there's lots to seen in the first 40 feer. the good news is that a thnnier suit will mean wearing less lead too. What you are planning to buy will have long term use and you can build your wardrobe from there.

Pete

I'd say you would be smart to get 2 suits. I always suggest getting a 3/2 for tropical or warmer waters, and a 7mm suit for the colder stuff. Then add a hooded vest to either of these suits you will find this to help out a ton. That would be the perfect setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom