Wetsuit hood question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TimK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I went to PGDive in Mass. last weekend to try on some of the Pinnacle wetsuit line. I tried on the Extreme which didn't seem to fit too well at all and it took a major effort by the staff to zip the drysuit zipper closed. I then tried on the Edge which fit much better in the torso but the hood had about 1/4 inch of extra space at the top of my head. They didn't have the Polar or the Arctic (Arctic is a jumpsuit with no integrated hood) in stock in my size (double extra chunky short) but they did order them for me to try on. Supposed to be in next Monday.

:confused: So my question is this. How tight a fit does the hood need to be? Will 1/4 inch of space allow too much water to enter? Is there something I can wear underneath to take up that space such as a beanie? I am very interested in the Polar and as a fallback, the Arctic with a seperate hood. (or if I can get them to give me a good price-- maybe just get a Bare Nexgen drysuit!)

As always, thanks for the advice.

Timk

A hood should be snug but not so tight that it's uncomfortable. A gap will let water in and won't really allow the hood to do it's job.

It wants to be a close fit and may very well fell snug all over. In my case getting comfortable in the jawline if often the tough part. A beannie can be worn underneath and is a nice bufft for times when the hood may catch some air for a moment.

A tight neckline or jawline can often be modified by inflating a basketball in there and letting it stand overnight. I know you want to avoid this on a new purchase but sometimes buying off the rack will not yeild a perfect fit all over.

It's tough enough to get a good hood fit sometimes. Integrating it with the suit ups the challenge. I have been using hooded vests. That still provides excellent neck closure but allows some flexibility in fit and combinations worn.

You're working with a good shop, good luck.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom