Wetsuit for Playa/Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive&Ski

Reaction score
Headed to Playa and Coz in a few weeks. We only have our 7/5 wetsuits that we dive with in the more temperate waters. We also wore them while diving in Pensacola the past summer. Will these wetsuits work for this trip or should we step it down to a 3/2 or so? We'll be doing ocean and cenote dives.

A 7/5 is perfect for this time of year. You can dive with a 3mm, but you will be warm and cozy in a 7/5. The weather is a little chilly right now and the water temp is around 77-79F/23-24C. In the Cenotes you will absolutely need the 7/5 with the water temp being around 74-75F/21-22C. I really think you will enjoy wearing the 7/5 in the ocean, it seems crazy to wear it in warm water, but it does make the dive more enjoyable when you don't have to worry about being cold.

Also if you are still looking for a dive op we at Geofish would love to show you and your group a great time. We are a very unique shop in that we cater to the individual and keep our groups small and personalized with no more than 6 divers on a boat. We are a family owned and operated shop from Colorado. Let me know if you are still looking for a shop and we can answer any questions that you might have. Take care and happy diving.

When I've been there in November, December and May I've used a full 3mm, 2mm shorty and full 3mm respectively. last trip did a cenote as well, was never cold or even cool once. In fact the 3mm full was a bit much in May.

However, I typically run pretty warm.

Headed to Playa and Coz in a few weeks. We only have our 7/5 wetsuits that we dive with in the more temperate waters. We also wore them while diving in Pensacola the past summer. Will these wetsuits work for this trip or should we step it down to a 3/2 or so? We'll be doing ocean and cenote dives.

The 7/5 is a very good suit for the cenotes. You may be a bit warm in the ocean, but not enough to warrant taking two suits. Take an extra bottle of cold water on the boat to cool you off between dives.

I just got back from Playa Del Carmen 30 minutes ago, dove the past 3 days and wore a 1 mm long suit, never got cold.

I was there in December and June. I wore my 3/2mm full on both trips. I find myself getting chilled more easily especially on subsequent dive days. Age, I think, is a big factor (54 years) and I carry more body fat than I should. Contrary to popular belief body fat doesn't insulate - it seems to act as a conductor and aids in heat loss. I have a lycra full body suit I wear under my wetsuit night dives and the cenotes. Most of the youngsters I see wear shorty 3's without any problem but I am at the point where I thinking a '5/3 full' will suit my needs. A 7/5 might be overkill but it's certainly not worth buying a suit you may not wear again. I bought a place in PDC so I'm looking at getting a full set of gear to leave there anyways. One things for sure - I'll leave my drysuit home. 5 1/2 weeks until I'm in Playa again.

Cheryl uses a special 3mm mid length suit and I have an off the shelf 3/2mm full that we use when we come down to Playa and Cozumel. This Feb. will be the first cenote dive so I am not sure if this will be enough but I think they will be OK. We are a little use to being cold in Wisconsin. It has been -20 degree's here for the last week. 3 more weeks to live though this weather until we are in Playa.

i usually go to coz in may and use a 1 mm with cap. have used 3mm + cap in feb and was glad i did. going in early apr this yr and am leaning towards 3mm.
a cap or hood is a great investment. not sure i have the % right, but i believe we lose something like 40% of our heat through our heads.
re wearing lycra under wetsuit- there is a theory that says you lose heat that way. wet suits are meant to form a seal with the skin and prevent flow of water which has not heated to skin temp. diveskins interfer with that and allow cold water in.
ps cenotes are much colder than ocean. you will want your warmest suit there.

I bought a cap in the Bahamas last October and wore it on the night dives. It really did help. It is a 3mm Henderson. It seems you're gauranteed a chuckle from the young guys every time you put it on - but I'd rather be warm than MACHO. When the hair starts getting thin the heat loss increases. I don't know about being colder with the lycra. I find it helps to be layered; like wearing a Farmer John. Maybe it's all in my head!!! I can be easily fooled!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom