wetsuit for petite women

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! I'm in Oregon. I thought of tailoring too, but it's too pricey. I found a used triathlon wetsuit, smooth skin, that fits me like a glove. The problem is, there're 2 small tear lines in the suit that are close to becoming holes! I was thinking of ordering the same thing but brandnew, but they said the smooth skin are easily teared and scratched (even with fingernails). Is this correct? So I didn't order cuz it doesn't sound like it would last.

I finally found something that seems to fit me from a surf shop. It's this one in size 4: Wetsuit Wearhouse: 4/3mm Women's Rip Curl DAWN PATROL Full Wetsuit

There's a small space between the wetsuit and the part of my lower back/upper buttocks. The suit sits about half an inch above from my skin. I just saw the weight range of the suit is 5 lbs above my weight (hence the space). Do you think this is not the right fit? From your experience, does this much of space makes u cold? I have 2 wks to return the suit though.

Again, thanks everyone for your help. This is my 1st time buying a diving wetsuit. So your comments really help me here :)

I'm 5'2" and 98 lbs and also get get cold easily. I will make 1 hr dives in 84 degree water with a 3 mm full suit in a size 4 Henderson or an Excel with a 5 mm hooded vest. Or if the dives are longer, I just use my 7 mm and use more weight. I don't care if people laugh at me because I'm not cold and miserable like they are.

Thanks! I'm in Oregon. I thought of tailoring too, but it's too pricey. I found a used triathlon wetsuit, smooth skin, that fits me like a glove. The problem is, there're 2 small tear lines in the suit that are close to becoming holes! I was thinking of ordering the same thing but brandnew, but they said the smooth skin are easily teared and scratched (even with fingernails). Is this correct? So I didn't order cuz it doesn't sound like it would last.

I finally found something that seems to fit me from a surf shop. It's this one in size 4: Wetsuit Wearhouse: 4/3mm Women's Rip Curl DAWN PATROL Full Wetsuit

There's a small space between the wetsuit and the part of my lower back/upper buttocks. The suit sits about half an inch above from my skin. I just saw the weight range of the suit is 5 lbs above my weight (hence the space). Do you think this is not the right fit? From your experience, does this much of space makes u cold? I have 2 wks to return the suit though.

Again, thanks everyone for your help. This is my 1st time buying a diving wetsuit. So your comments really help me here :)

As far as durability goes, smooth skin and open cell suits can be fragile also skins like a polyolefin aren't good against bcds velcro as the hooks can really mess up a lycra or polyolefin suit but otherwise, the skins are quite durable.

I won't recommend a suit that is slightly bigger as the insulating properties of a wetsuit comes from the nitrogen bubbles in the neoprene. Water conducts heat 25 times better then air so any water that finds it way and out of a ill fitting suit will flush away more heat so a good fitting wetsuit is a must. Another thing is 4/3mm Women's Rip Curl DAWN PATROL Full Wetsuit isn't a diving suit but more for water sports like surfing.

Diving suits usually are made of neoprene that is better at compression has features more suited to diving like a padded back, elbow and shoulder pads and sometimes more abrasion resistant materials.

Another thing to note is as a petite person, not many wetsuits fit well due to the cutting. Companies like Pinnacle, Scubapro, Bare are cut slimmer while waterproof, neosport etc are more for bigger shaped bodies.

It's unfortunate you missed the black friday deals last weekend as some really good suits like the Henderson Thermoflex was going at $130 or so.

Anyway, the package from scuba.com for the Neosport by Henderson Warm / XSPAN Package is pretty good at only $211 however, call to get a fitting and price matching.
scuba gear Warm Water Wetsuit package at scuba.com

Other suits worth considering are:
http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp?category=43&fromsearch=1&hashvalue=149954SubGear 3mm Element Steamer Jumpsuit / Wetsuit (its a pretty looking suit and they have a XS size plus cheap to boot $99!)
ScubaPro 3mm OneFlex Steamer Wetsuit / Jumpsuit
Henderson 3mm Thermoprene Jumpsuit / Wetsuit
Aqua Lung Sport. 3mm Quantum Stretch Jumpsuit / Wetsuit

Aqua Lung 3mm HydroFlex Super-Stretch Jumpsuit / Wetsuit

I'm leaning towards the henderson and scubapro (subgear made by scubapro) cus of the quality of the neoprene and workmanship.

A good hood like the
Neo Sport by Henderson 3/2mm Vented Bib Hood a Pinnacle Titanium Standard Diving Hood or Camaro Seamless Hydronomic 4mm Hood a pair of 3mm good fitting gloves with booties and you are good for the external exposure protection.

I would still recommend that you consider a inner lining like the polyolefin top/bottom just in case and for jelly protection when you are snokeling or just swiming in the Thailand area.

If you wear the polylofin top under the wetsuit you could even unzip your suit and still have a long sleeve tee which dries really fast and will keep you warm inbetween dives.

Just don't put the polyolefin stuff into the dryer it might shrink.

Cheers.

Last edited:
If you find a wet suit that you like, but needs to be taken in some make a trip down to Otter Bay WetSuits in Monterey and have them do the alteration. They do great work with fast turn around times. Have it shipped back to you USPS. I don't know if there are any companies in your area that do alterations. That "shark skin" silver lining on some suits can be easily damaged by finger nails so yeah you do need to be careful. I'm a guy so I don't have nails:eyebrow:. Bruce

If you get cold easily, and can't get a wet suit that fits, look at a dry suit. The fit is not as critical. You don't have to wear full underwear - maybe just a sweat suit. Both my wife and son had the same problems = the dry suit worked for them.

Wearing something like a 5mm suit you can pull the neck open letting cool water in to cool down. Once cold in a 3mm you can't warm back up underwater. Point being it is better to be too warm and have to cool down, then be cold.

My partner at 5'1" and 99 lbs has a pretty good fit in her Aqualung 5mm. She wears 5mm booties and has a hood, but has not needed her 12mm hood yet diving warmer waters.
130089d1342673014-show-off-your-bp-w-rigs-adeline.jpg

You should check out Wetwear suits. They are made to your measurements and they are not as expensive as you think. They also advise layering. I have a 3mm full suit with a 3mm shorty shorty I wear on top for extra warmth. It is the best piece I gear I own!

Thank you everyone! I ended up with an Excel wetsuit 4/3 mil. It fits me perfectly. I also got a dive hat. I did 11 dives in 3 days without getting cold at all :)

AWESOME!!! Now it's time for you to pull your own impersonation of a WWII submarine flick!! B

My wife is the ultimate cold water wimp diver. She found a lavacore vest under her 3mm helped her "endure" 80F water in Bali. Might bring that along as a layering option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom