Wetsuit for fat/big guys...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

juggernutt

Reaction score
Which brand is the best(fit) for fat/big guys?

So far i have come across the following brands:

Akona
Henderson
Bare

Akona is the most interesting because it seems to be pretty reasonable in price.
Any advice or personal experience with these brands and/or buying wetsuits in large sizes?

I was quoted a price in Hongkong for a custommade one....$400
Damn.
I am still regretting not buying a custommade suit when I was in Phuket Thailand. it was definitely MUCH cheaper

Unfortunatly most the information I have is subjective. Your Mileage will vary.
My dive buddy who is about 350 pounds and about 5'10 uses a 7mm Blue water farmer John for his diving. Although I must admit, his tolerance for cold exceeds mine by quiet a bit. Then again, I am a thin 6'4 240 pound guy. I use a Bare 7mm Farmer John and really like it. We do warm water (40-60f) diving here in the Pacific North west. My friends only complaint about his suit is its too warm.

I guess any information is better then no information :wink:

Hi Windwalker,

I'm 5'11 and 280 and I have had good luck with the older style scubapro wetsuit and it has worn well for 110 dives. I have had on the Akona as a rental and it was very comfortablw but can't comment on wear ability. I also wear a 5mm steamer and I absollutly hate the farmer john style.

Good Luck
chuckrt

Is the Older Scubapro a single? I think I used an 1/4 one piece when doing canoeing in Switzerland in the Boyscouts. We had to swamp the canoe and swim in the one piece and I can remember freezing my Kiester off. :) I liked the Farmer John because it double layers the two 7mm over the torso so you get something like 14mm over the torso which I thought was pretty nice. The one problem that I have with the Farmer John is, On the Boat I am prone to Spontanous Human Combustion as I suit up to jump in the water.. :D

What are the Nifty's with the ScubaPro? What are the disadvantages/Advantages?

I can't comment on the Bare as for Wearabilty mine is Brand New and has not been on that many dives. My guess is its not going to last as long a the more expensive suites. - then again I could be wrong.

Windwalker,

It is a one piece suit and you can layer a shorty over the top for added protection if you want I just find the Farmer john style to confining.

chuckrt

I use an akona, nice fit in the big sizes, but I'm less than impressed with the durability of the suit, the front of the thighs is starting to get pretty threadbare, and it has had loose threads since day one.

I tried on a henderson hyperstretch, fantastic feeling suit! Don't know much about the durability though.

I have heard good things about the Hendersons Hyperstretch.. I am curious on how it works. My thinking is like that; Neoprene contains tiny bubbles that assist in providing insulation from the outside cold water. What does the Henderson Hyperstretch use and how does it compare with maintaining my heat like neoprene does?

I haven't thought about using a one piece and then a shorty over it.. That sounds like a real good idea! Perhaps I will try that on my next suit (if I don't go drysuit). Thanks for the Idea! :)

Dear Friends,

I think I have some useful information to add to this thread. Last year, I weighed 390 lbs (56" waist) and I had a custom made 6.5mm john suit from Atlan in Canada. It worked great in cold water. I paid $420! Call the company directly. They will make it for you! Ask to speak a guy named Cecil Sebastian. They do a great job!

I have a lightly used 3/2 mm Largo 2 piece that is now to big on me if anyone is interested. I had both suits made at the same time. You can see the suit on the Atlan website: www.atlaninc.com

This year I have lost some weight (340 50" waist) , I just purchased a Henderson Hyperstretch 7mm. I got it custom made with tayloring adjustments to arms and legs for $450. Without a doubt it blows the Atlan out of the water! More flexibility, less weight on my belt...this suit is great!

The old saying "you get what you pay for" really applies here....get the Henderson....your weight can go up or down and the is simply great! Worth every penny!

A buddy of mine just purchased a custom from Aquaflight. About the same price as a rack Henderson Hyperstretch - which I have.

He hasn't yet received it, so no comments on quality, etc.

I love the Hyperstretch - I'm 5'8" and 250# - not exactly a rack fit.

Going through my LDS getting two custom suits from ActionPlus (3mm and 7mm) was a little over 1K. The only upside was since I was getting two suits they waived the custom charge on one of them. I'm less than pleased with the quality, single stiching, and a hole just showed up last time out on the 7mm. Purchased the suits in Feb of this year, 25+ dives now on the 7mm. I'm 5'10", 380 or so and picked up an Akona shorty for my checkout dives in Florida, decent suit, better seem work than my custom and it was only $70 or so....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom