thinking about getting a new wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SP, Bare, and Henderson are all great suits. Might want to think about getting a hooded vest as well if you start getting cold after days of diving.
Or just a good hood. I've learned to take my K-01 with me.

are zippered arms/legs overkill for a 3mm? I'm asking because it seems like very few have them (AFAIK just the Scubapro Definition that I mentioned earlier, which is list price $299 (ouch).
Body type may play a significant role in your selection.

I believe the SP suits are cut very slender all the way through. IME If you are somewhat muscular or broader through the chest/shoulders, you may find it difficult to find a matching (common) size. I bought a SubGear (value rebrand of SP) Definition. It had a good fit through the legs & hips, but I couldn't get even remotely close to get it over my arms & chest. Fortunately it fit my son with some room to grow.

I got a Waterproof W3 3.5mm with seals and zips at both ankles and wrists and I am very happy with it. The current "equivalent" is the W5, but you may find a leftover W3 out there. Downside is it is going to list for more than $299 ...

Or just a good hood. I've learned to take my K-01 with me.
I generally always wear a hood, but if he’s going to be getting a thinner wetsuit, wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a vest as well, to help insulate the core.

I generally always wear a hood, but if he’s going to be getting a thinner wetsuit, wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a vest as well, to help insulate the core.
I'd go for a thicker wetsuit if that was the case. I will admit that I've never tried a hood with a vest. Not sure how comfortable that would be with my existing wetsuit. A K-01 is probably the warmest hood on the market, and we all know we lose a lot of heat from our heads.

I'd go for a thicker wetsuit if that was the case. I will admit that I've never tried a hood with a vest. Not sure how comfortable that would be with my existing wetsuit. A K-01 is probably the warmest hood on the market, and we all know we lose a lot of heat from our heads.

OP said “ouch” to a $299 wetsuit…so idk if he’s going to get a thicker quality wetsuit…I’ve never used a K-01 but I’ve heard they’re great. I have a waterproof 7/5 and 5/3. They fit me perfectly. Might try a K-01 one day.

@jsyteng : You might want to reach out to the dive operator in Palau to see what they have for rental suits. This might solve your immediate problem of choosing a suit too quickly and possibly not getting what you want, particularly if $299 is pushing your budget. The other problem is trying to pick and choose from the good advice in this space. In a perfect world your LDS would carry every brand on the market and allow you to try them out in their custom dive pool..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom