Wetsuit for California Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeliciousBrownTaste

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm not to educated on brands, and so far I only know Sherwood, AKONA, Genisis (Yes I'm where those three are all related), Pinnacle, Aqualung, ScubaPro, and BodyGlove. I was wondering about three different things. Out of AKONA, Pinnacle, Aqualung, ScubaPro, and BodyGlove... Which of these is the most affordable? I'm still only 16, so I don't exactly have money flowing out of my pockets. (my hobbies are just too expensive, my parents always say :11doh:) Second, which one of these brands is most dependable? If I buy a Aqualung wetsuit, will I have to replace it in a year because of old age? If I buy a ScubaPro wetsuit will it, I don't know, do something needing me to replace it soon? :shakehead: (Yes I'm sadly missinformed, advanced Cert., and hating it.) And Thirdly, which of these brands has a wetsuit that actually has quality. I don't want to buy a good wetsuit from, lets say AKONA, and find out that theirs a cheaper one from BodyGlove thats just as good, maybe better. On top of that which has the most reliable name? (The refrences are complely made up)

Howbout this, one made from USA made Rubatex G231. Whichever one that is and BTW WetWear in Florida (since the 70s) can make you a custom suit from exactly that superior material. Why, denser, much less compression, less bouyancy swing, springs back more quickly after a deep dive, will not flatten out at 150 feet, durable and rugged. And, thye maybe able to alter it as you grow, not sure about that. For a cheap suit I like Bare better than BodyGlove, I think they seem to use a denser neoprene.

N

At 16, you probably shouldnt worry too much about a suit lasting you more than a year or so as your body will likely change faster than the suit wears out. And that;s probably a good reason to not spend a bundle as well. Most common around here would be a 7mm full suit, with seperate hood or hooded vest. Sport Chalet has good prices on Bodyglove. A great place to try on a large variety of suits (at very good prices) is Scuba.com in Irvine (Scuba.com Retail Store in Orange County, Irvine). The fit of the suit is critical for performance...spend whatever, but make sure the suit you buy fits you properly...a bargain suit that doesnt fit will cause you misery.

Have you hooked up with the South Bay diving community yet? Several groups that meet at Veteran's Park in Redondo and Marineland.

Check out the SoCal forum here as well.

Cheers!!

You may just want to keep renting a wetsuit as you may grow out of anything you buy. I'm assuming you are still renting all other gear? The first (only) major piece of gear I bought a was a BC because it was one of the most expensive thing to rent and so will hopefully pay for itself when I have the time/money/and means to get back in the water. Also, you most likely wouldn't outgrow a BC.

As for a specific wetsuit, I've only had random rentals, but have heard nothing but good things about the Aries from Waterproof. Its the one I've got my heart set on!

Also, cheers! Another newbie! :D

It depends on what you perfer. I use an akona and haven't had any problems with it. If I were to lose more weight and become Mr. thin (which I am already) then I'll buy a replacement, but it is probable one of the nice fit wetsuit I ever use. Got mine for $129 at Leisurepro.

I agree with Orangelion03; you may grow out of the wet suit in a year or two. My son had a significant growth spur at 16.

I dive mostly in Catalina Island and I wear a 5 mm hooded vest and a 7/5 full wet suit, both Henderson Hyperstretch. You did not mention this brand, but it is amazingly easy to get into and out of, even when wet!

Wetsuits are a matter of personal preference for a lot of people. My preference is for a one piece with attached hood. I won't make a recommendation, but I will give my impression.

My wetsuits lasted for hundreds of dives. They eventually "died" because the neoprene wore out. I never purchased the most expensive suit, nor the cheapest, and had real good service except for Body Glove. Only one of my suits was custom made.

I did a lot of diving in California. The last wetsuit I purchased was a Tilos and was very pleased with it from the standpoint of quality and price (good quality, modest price). I had a Body Glove for a few years but found the quality and workmanship to be lacking, so I can not recommend it to you. I had a BARE wetsuit for years and it was great. Best suit I ever had was from the Wetsuit Factory in Santa Barbara but they are now out of business.

There is not standard sizing for wetsuits so be sure to try it on and dive with it before buying it. This probably means renting, but it will be worth it.

From people I dive with, I hear fantastic reports about XCEL suits and have also hear good things about ONeill wetsuits.

Hope you find what you want and keep diving.

You are very close to Dive and Surf. They carry a huge inventory of Bodygolve wetsuits. They sometimes have deals as well.
they used to be affiliated with Bodyglove, but, no longer.
I dive and surf with Bodygloves, and, am a lot happier with them than I was in years past. I use a 1 piece 7mm excursion with a 3mm hooded vest underneath. it is ample for the majority of the year for me.

You might see if you can buy a suit out of a shop's rental string, some shops offer this option. Like the others said, you may grow out of it before you get much use out of it so the less you invest right now the better. Buy used or clearance merchandise and sell it when it no longer fits.
Ber :lilbunny:

Jeez I didn't know I would get such a variety of answers with Body Glove xD. Nonetheless, thanks for all the help, everything was extremely helpful!

Back
Top Bottom