Wetsuit considerations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would be willing to and rather buy from a local shop however the ones i went to only had jump suits not a farmer john and the price was more then twice as much, so im buying from an online source with a shop in NYC so if i have sizing issues i can go to the shop. I agree with supporting a local shop but there is no way i can afford their products, as far as a wet suit goes
reason the Neosport suits are less money is the neoprene is lesser quality and the seams are not glued,just stitched.So with seams only stitched water exchange is greater,not as warm as a glued and stitched suit.The online suits are same price at lds and if the lds does not have the model you want they can get i in a day or 2 and be sure it fit you properly.Most lds in NY area will price match any authorized online dealer, we do all the time.We also have our own inhouse heated pool to have customers try out their purchases or to try out any recently serviced gear we may have done for them . Online retailer cannot match that type of customer service.

My reference was to this statement:

Nice, you found your size at the local shops and now your going to order on line.

I understand that. It was a general statement not directed toward the op.

I am not sure how anyone would take it any other way than you were griping at the OP.

I get the whole "loyalty to your LDS" thing, believe me I do, but if it means that I have to wait to go diving because I have spend twice as much at my LDS or buy somewhere where I can better afford a piece of equipment then guess what? I would much rather buy local but when I walk into my LDS and they want $839 for a first stage, a second stage and a hose to connect them together or I can buy a good quality package like a HOG package that will set up my wife and I both for about the same price then guess what? Maybe the LDS should offer a bigger variety of price ranges to meet a wide range of budgets. I know my LDS pretty much exclusively carries ScubaPro, which as we all know is very expensive gear. The OP is on a budget which I get, plus he is
new here and this is a no flame or bitch at zone.

Just saying is all.

Peace brother diver

reason the Neosport suits are less money is the neoprene is lesser quality and the seams are not glued,just stitched.So with seams only stitched water exchange is greater,not as warm as a glued and stitched suit.The online suits are same price at lds and if the lds does not have the model you want they can get i in a day or 2 and be sure it fit you properly.Most lds in NY area will price match any authorized online dealer, we do all the time.We also have our own inhouse heated pool to have customers try out their purchases or to try out any recently serviced gear we may have done for them . Online retailer cannot match that type of customer service.

Man...I wish my LDS had that availability, that would be cool.

If it's feasible, it would probably be best to go to the Leisure Pro shop in person. There you can try on all of the gear you're considering to see what works, and if there are elements of the packages you want to change out for fit/quality reasons, they will more than likely do that for you. In fact, I've found many items, especially ones that would be expensive to ship, tend to be a little less in the store. Also, while their phone sales staff tends to be more business oriented, they do have some very helpful helpful and experienced sales staff in store. One woman spent hours with my girlfriend and I while we tried on dozens of hoods, boots, gloves, etc recently, and was extremely helpful. The only problem is that it takes a long time to "bring up" equipment to try on, as it's kept in the basement of the building, and some, especially clearance items, are not available to try on at all if they're in their warehouse.

I know there's a big debate in the scuba community (and this thread, it seems) about online retailers vs. LDS. I can see the arguments of both sides. I'm very fond of my LDS, and would even be willing to pay a little more to support them. But for me, the limited product lines they carry combined with prices that are (I would hope) negotiation starting-points makes it a less than ideal experience to explore options. I plan to get any regularly service items, especially regulators, at my LDS, but for exposure protection I've been getting pretty much everything online.

For me, LeisurePro has been great, because shipping is quick, returns have been easy, and the in-store option is a good one. I imagine which larger, online-friendly retailer you pick is largely a geographic issue. On the west coast, I'd probably order more from Scuba.com. My experiences there have been good, but the shipping takes a week, so an exchange process would take the better part of month for me. Likewise, if you're closer to Texas, or Florida, both ScubaToys and Dolphin Scuba have gotten good reviews from people, though I don't have experience with those shops personally. I guess my point is that the LDS/Online dichotomy is not as clear as it first seems. I think of most of the better online retailers more as "Regional" dive shops. That being said, service is very important regardless of where you buy, so if you're not impressed, look elsewhere.

As for specific equipment recommendations, I can second the Pinnacle 7mm Cruiser suit as a good option. Both LeisurePro and Scuba.com have been clearing those out at $150, so there may be a little wiggle room on prices of places that still have your size in stock. If you do decide to go with one of those NeoSport packages, be aware that the included Blue Reef hood is not vented, so you may inflate a little bit on the way to the surface if you're not careful!

If you do decide to go with one of those NeoSport packages, be aware that the included Blue Reef hood is not vented, so you may inflate a little bit on the way to the surface if you're not careful!

Thanks for all the info, and i agree with what you said about what to get at a LDS and what to get online or as you said a "regional" store. However i was wondering what you mean by a vented hood?

My reference was to this statement:I am not sure how anyone would take it any other way than you were griping at the OP. I get the whole "loyalty to your LDS" thing, believe me I do, but if it means that I have to wait to go diving because I have spend twice as much at my LDS or buy somewhere where I can better afford a piece of equipment then guess what? I would much rather buy local but when I walk into my LDS and they want $839 for a first stage, a second stage and a hose to connect them together or I can buy a good quality package like a HOG package that will set up my wife and I both for about the same price then guess what? Maybe the LDS should offer a bigger variety of price ranges to meet a wide range of budgets. I know my LDS pretty much exclusively carries ScubaPro, which as we all know is very expensive gear. The OP is on a budget which I get, plus he is new here and this is a no flame or bitch at zone. Just saying is all.Peace brother diver
Thanks for setting me straight! We should dive togeather some day when you get your OW cert.

i was wondering what you mean by a vented hood?

If air gets into the hood at depth (such as bubbles from the regulator getting in through the face opening) it will expand as you ascend, causing the hood to "balloon". Some hoods have built-in vents near the back at the top of the head, usually just a very small hole, that allows air to escape rather than inflating the hood. It seems that this hood does not have one, but people sometimes make their own by using a hot needle to poke a hole or two in the neoprene.

I've never seen the "ballooning" problem myself, but I would imagine it's quite hilarious (or at least it is the way I am picturing it).

If air gets into the hood at depth (such as bubbles from the regulator getting in through the face opening) it will expand as you ascend, causing the hood to "balloon". Some hoods have built-in vents near the back at the top of the head, usually just a very small hole, that allows air to escape rather than inflating the hood. It seems that this hood does not have one, but people sometimes make their own by using a hot needle to poke a hole or two in the neoprene.

I've never seen the "ballooning" problem myself, but I would imagine it's quite hilarious (or at least it is the way I am picturing it).

I have that hood, and have had no issues - but the hood fits well. I personally don't see how bubbles get through the fact opening if the hood fits well and is sealing properly.

Back
Top Bottom