Wetsuit Color- Any potential problems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My BOW instructor told us wetsuits should be black except if you are diving where seals inhabit the waters.

vladimir:
From the "Shark Trip FAQ" on Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures website:

"Please do not bring any white or yellow dive gear, especially fins, mask, gloves, or wetsuits with a large amount of white or yellow."

I don't know if he has any scientific basis for this caution, but he does have a good deal of practical experience.

http://www.scuba-adventures.com/bahamas_itineraries.shtml#sharks

So, is that why sharks eat seals, the seals are yellow or white???

I don't think so.

Frank (Hammet) believed that sharks indeed may investigate color contrast if vis is poor. Although he did insist that the likelyhood of an unprovoked shark "encounter" on a diver was nothing to be concerned about. As for diving with seals, black wetsuit looks like the animals.
Frank "the shark killer" is well known here in these parts and world wide as well. (do a google search) . I did my open water in 1973.

Notso_Ken:
So, is that why sharks eat seals, the seals are yellow or white???

I don't think so.
Abernethy's op is here in Palm Beach. No seals, but some history of small shark bites mostly on surfers with white hands and feet dangling in murky water.

Colour panels really help with identifying who's who in a group of divers. Fin colour is also a massive help. Remember that pink turns kind of grey/blue and green turns yellow.

In terms of watching your buddy - those flashes of colour in your peripheral vision help considerably. Mask and snorkel help as well. Had a buddy who changed from red to black snorkel and suddenly seemed to become invisible.

Never heard anyone attacked because of colour - but watch out for glittery shiny stuff - the trigger fish really go for it! (Talking of never hearing of anyone attacked because of colour - judging by some of the suits seen on Cayman and other places - perhaps they should have been. And couples wearing matching rigs!)

pelan-pelan:
Never heard anyone attacked because of colour - but watch out for glittery shiny stuff - the trigger fish really go for it! (Talking of never hearing of anyone attacked because of colour - judging by some of the suits seen on Cayman and other places - perhaps they should have been. And couples wearing matching rigs!)

Agree! You often see fish bite a baitless hook.
And the couples with matching wetsuits.......agree there too

Black and yellow gear out here is fun during sea snake mating season . Most of my yellow is now gone , but i still have the mask strap pad . It makes it easier for my dive buddies to ID me, especially in a group

I like all black. Harder to ID me. Really though, just because I like the diver to not compete with the natural colors in the image when I am taking pictures, I want the diver to be "secondary". thats just me...I get really annoyed with the neon for some reason.

someone (very irreliable) once said to me that sharks like yellow which of course is probably bull*****, and to prove it my buddy has a wetsuit with yellow trim and on one dive when we actually did see sharks I had yellow shorts on and a yellow tshirt. Needlessly to say we both lived to tell of our adventure. Personally I think the wetsuits with yellow trim look really nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom