Wetsuit choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdk8505

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What would be a good mm choice for quarry diving, up to almost 100' and also some diving off the NC coast? I am thinking of getting a 3mm, but would like to hear from some experts.

Thanks.

What would be a good mm choice for quarry diving, up to almost 100' and also some diving off the NC coast? I am thinking of getting a 3mm, but would like to hear from some experts.

Thanks.

The local quarry has thermoclines that dictate a 7mm at depth year round. Last weekend, we were in with 7mm fullsuits and were OK without our hoods until we went through a thermocline at 60. We moved up. At 100 or so the temp stays around 4c - 5c year round. I don't know how this translates to where you are, but 3mm sounds light.

What time of year? Water temps. on the East Coast tend to vary a lot. I believe that is also true of quarries (I've never dived one). Once you have the temp. info. (from the internet on coastal temps. and when experts who know the areas you are interested in and can advise you on normal thermoclines respond here on SB), you must decide for yourself on the thickness of your wetsuit. Everyone is different. For summer dives off the Carolinas I would use my shorty. Waters there tend to be at least in the mid 70s in summer, often times higher. Generally, the suit of choice for most of the year would be a 5 or 7 mil. Some would use a drysuit much of the year.

I cannot speak for the area you want to dive in but on my last quarry dive, it was 55 F at 45 ft. I was in a 7mm wetsuit.farmer john with hood and gloves and I was starting to be uncomfortably cold. This was on a HOT summer’s day.

Insufficient data. I would base my answer on water temperature and your body type- height and weight and body fat percentage. In any event, I should think it likely you will want at least a 5 mil. I like a 5 mil with a 2 mil sleeveless hooded vest underneath as an option for when the water is a little colder than anticipated, or if I will be in the water for several hours in a day.
DivemasterDennis

I often say if I could ONLY own one wetsuit (I live in Virginia and predominately dive NC Coast and Local Quarry) it would be a comfortable/well fitting 7/5mm combination. Even when water is warm, I can flush the suit so I don't overheat and when temps dip, the warmer the better! I have discovered when temps are above 80 degrees I am often even more comfortable in swim trunks and T-Shirt than a 3mm Suit.

Our quarries around here that are that deep stay in the low 40s year round at depth. In the middle of summer, it can be 98 and humid on the surface, and 55 degrees colder at 90 feet. I am very cold tolerant, but that is 7 mil/drysuit territory. The quarry can probably tell you temps at depths, often on their websites.

It was cold enough to freeze a sealed regulator several weeks ago when it was in the 90s on the surface.

Thanks.

This is probably what you don't want to hear, but I would recommend a drysuit.

JMHO,

I don't know what 100 feet down of NC is but deep quarries are notoriously cold and almost certainly 50F or considerably colder. The surface is no indication, there will be numerous distinct thermoclines as you go deeper. If you need to be wet then 7mm with 2X on the core is where you need to go. I like a full suit with a hooded step-in vest like Bare offers. A John and jacket is the alternative.

More here.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom