Wetsuit buoyancy character: old vs new

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just bought a new 7mm wetsuit, pinnacle 7mm elastiprene. I have been using a "well used" rental 7mm wetsuit, I think it is H2 Odysse semi-dry. I wonder if it will affect my weight. I think most likely I will be more bouyant, any idea approximately how much?

I just bought a new 7mm wetsuit, pinnacle 7mm elastiprene. I have been using a "well used" rental 7mm wetsuit, I think it is H2 Odysse semi-dry. I wonder if it will affect my weight. I think most likely I will be more bouyant, any idea approximately how much?

I can't tell you exactly how much more weight will be required but likely some will. New wet suits can take a while to train - they tend to think that they are the buoyancy boss. I dive a Pinnacle elastoprine 7mm using 13 lbs. in fresh and 19 in salt. I am 155lbs, 6' tall. You will probably need to add at least 2 lbs. above what you are used to for a couple dives until the suit is broken in. I am currently wrestling with a Pinnacle 5mm using the same or more weight that I use in the 7mm but eventually I should be using 4 lbs. less with the 5mm. Good luck.

I just experienced this same thing. I've rented a Bare 7mm Arctic wetsuit for a year. I finally broke down and bought a new one. Same size, model, etc. The first two dives I did were a little frustrating as I didn't change my weighting or configuration at all. I had a hard time descending and then once I got past 30 feet I sunk like a rock so I was constantly adjusting my buoyancy. The new wetsuit has a much wider compression change than the old rental had so I felt like I was either sinking or floating - never got that comfortable neutral feeling. The other change I noticed is in the trim. I had to move my trim pockets down to the bottom cam strap because the new suit made my legs float so I would end up head down if I stopped moving. I changed where the weights are but didn't change how much weight I was carrying. I've done about 10 dives in the suit now with the deepest being to 100'. The buoyancy changes aren't as drastic now as the first 2 dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom