Wetsuit Brand Matter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take a look at our 5 mm suits. They are much warmer than a typical scuba wetsuit with zippers and an open neck. the price may surprise you since it comes with a hood and we only sell direct to the consumer.

Thee suits are made with Yamamoto neoprene, the best material available. The type of neoprene and wetsuit construction can make a huge difference in the comfort, fit, warmth and longevity of a wetsuit. Most wetsuit manufacturers will NOT tell you the brand of neoprene being used - we are HAPPY to tell you what we use.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Yamamoto-3D-Reef-Camo-2-Piece-Open-Cell-Wetsuit-p/m2y3drc.htm

View attachment 517309
How does Yamamoto compare to other neoprene

It is considered a high end premium product. Not all manufacturer's will be so forthcoming with respect to their source of materials. It is elastic and comfortable and warm.

I have tried and used many models and brands of wetsuits over the last few decades and none are as comfortable, stretchy, warm and fitting as the 3 and 5mm Bare Sports Reactive wetsuits.

In general, there is difference between inexpensive and more expensive suits in terms of comfort, longevity, stretching, warmth even different models in the same brand.

Yep, Henderson is my favorite brand wetsuits for 17 years of diving. I have them from Lycra, 2mm, 3mm, 5mm and 7mm. They are super stretchy, easy to wear and keep me warm. When you do 4 dives / day for 10 straight days, from warm places like Raja Ampat to cold places like Galapagos, you know what I'm talking about.

I thought my Fourth Element 5mm was great until I discovered the WaterProof 5mm W7 suit. The difference between them is that the Waterproof suit has nice flex bits for the elbows and knees as well as separate rubber seals for the wrists and ankles making to so much easier to don and doff.

I used both over the past two days and the Waterproof is definitely superior to the Fourth Element.

I thought my Fourth Element 5mm was great until I discovered the WaterProof 5mm W7 suit. The difference between them is that the Waterproof suit has nice flex bits for the elbows and knees as well as separate rubber seals for the wrists and ankles making to so much easier to don and doff.

I used both over the past two days and the Waterproof is definitely superior to the Fourth Element.
I met a few German divers in Galapagos in last October. They wore 7mm Waterproof wetsuits and seemed cozy in 15C water.

Henderson makes several brands: Neosport, Henderson, and Hyperflex are all owned/manufactured by Henderson Sports. Hyperflex is generally marketed as their surfing suit, but they make a very stretchy and warm Hyperflex VYRL series that I love and cone in 3/2, 4/3, and 5/4mm. Pretty competitively priced. I love my 4/3–warm even in the quarries when others are in 5 or 7mm.
If you want zippered wrists and ankles, lots in my area swear by the Pinnacle Cruiser 5mm.

[edit to include] Quite an old thread revival, no?

My nephew uses a neosport 5mm for cooler water tropics, surfing in California, and California scuba with a hooded vest. He loves it. Only problem is an open seam around the neck, which is easily repaired. Keep in mind that many of the less expensive suits are marketed as multipurpose use, so may have some compromises in cut, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom