Wetsuit Brand Matter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDubs09

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just wondering whether it matters? Neosport or Henderson are generally reliable good but way cheaper. May not have all the bells and whistles but as long as it keeps me warm. What do people think? I'm in the market for a 5mm.

I have the Neosport 3mm I started with. I glued on a thigh pocket and it has served me well for 5 years. It has a few shallow tears and can smell like a biohazard but still does everything it did on day 1. I recently found the sales on Deep 6's websight and pulled the trigger on a new D6 3mm.

Specials

There is a difference. The D6 is definately warmer, is lined with an almost fleece like material, has material that seals around the ankles and wrists, and came with 2 thigh pockets already sewn on. It's reinforced at stress points, and has Kevlar? On the knees, crotch, and shoulders. It flows almost no water. On a recent Cenote dive where most people dive at least 5 mm or layer a 3mm shorty over a full 3mm, I dove the D6 with a hood and was fine, and even took the hood off on the second dive. I don't have a lot of dives on it, but even new it did not take much more weight than usual to become negatively buoyant.

I think I paid $80 for my Neosport in 2014, $40 for the thigh pocket, $16? For aquaseal, and the suit is great for tropical dives. The D6 was $300 with 2 thigh pockets built in, a rash guard, and a pair of gloves.

There is a difference, especially in warmth, comfort, utility, and what I believe will be longevity. Whether it is worth $200 difference is up to you. I'm glad I bought the D6 and will recommend them to the students I work with. I'm going to add ankle zippers and a pee zipper and I think it will be perfect.

Do you need it? Probably not, I still have my Neosport 8/7 for Chilly Willy dives, but the D6 will be my goto suit for most dives.

Good luck,
Jay

Go with what fits best. It doesn’t matter if it’s inexpensive or expensive if it doesn’t fit you well and water circulates too much and you’re cold. Try a few and see how they are cut for you and how it is to don and doff. Stretchier neoprene is easier to get on and off.

I'm just wondering whether it matters? Neosport or Henderson are generally reliable good but way cheaper. May not have all the bells and whistles but as long as it keeps me warm. What do people think? I'm in the market for a 5mm.

Neosport is an entry level brand that belongs to Henderson. So a Neosport suit will almost always be cheaper than a Henderson with comparable characteristics.

If the only thing you care about is staying warm, then no, brand doesn't matter. If you care about things like comfort in an out of the water, and easiness of donning/doffing, then more expensive brands may offer more of it than less expensive. For example, I find ankle zippers to be very helpful, and cheaper suits usually don't have them.

But as stated in an earlier post, fit is the most important factor. Sizing charts vary drastically from brand to brand. For example, Scubapros will be smaller ("European cut") than Bare of the same fit size. So it's very important to try the suit on before buying, or at least study the sizing chart carefully.

sort of. neosport is a budget brand for henderson so it is going to be made in china, the neoprene isn't the highest quality, and it isn't double blind stitched/glued. it will still work, but just not as nice and for a given thickness not as warm as a higher end suit (assuming fit is similar).

most other brands will have a wider range from budget to premium models, so the model matters more than the brand.

sort of. neosport is a budget brand for henderson so it is going to be made in china, the neoprene isn't the highest quality, and it isn't double blind stitched/glued. it will still work, but just not as nice and for a given thickness not as warm as a higher end suit (assuming fit is similar).

most other brands will have a wider range from budget to premium models, so the model matters more than the brand.
Actually, I think every Henderson suit that isn't the Talon or a custom fit Thermoprene is an import. Educate yourself in the features and differences. For instance the Neosport seam is not water tight, unlike most/all other Henderson products. That added water exchange can make a difference in keeping warm. There are other features on other suits that add incremental warmth and comfort. And do not over rely on the stretch of the product to get a good fit - get the right size. The more a suit stretches the thinner the insulating effect, and the faster the wear and tear.

Actually, I think every Henderson suit that isn't the Talon or a custom fit Thermoprene is an import. Educate yourself in the features and differences. For instance the Neosport seam is not water tight, unlike most/all other Henderson products. That added water exchange can make a difference in keeping warm. There are other features on other suits that add incremental warmth and comfort. And do not over rely on the stretch of the product to get a good fit - get the right size. The more a suit stretches the thinner the insulating effect, and the faster the wear and tear.

yes, i pointed out the neosport is not blind stitched.

Take a look at our 5 mm suits. They are much warmer than a typical scuba wetsuit with zippers and an open neck. the price may surprise you since it comes with a hood and we only sell direct to the consumer.

Thee suits are made with Yamamoto neoprene, the best material available. The type of neoprene and wetsuit construction can make a huge difference in the comfort, fit, warmth and longevity of a wetsuit. Most wetsuit manufacturers will NOT tell you the brand of neoprene being used - we are HAPPY to tell you what we use.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Yamamoto-3D-Reef-Camo-2-Piece-Open-Cell-Wetsuit-p/m2y3drc.htm

M2Y3DRC-2T.jpg

Back
Top Bottom