Wetsuit becoming less effective with age?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mthirsc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a 2.5mm Scubapro "Pacific" shorty and it has about 70 dives on it. The last few dives I've been getting colder it seems. Granted, the water recently has been 84 instead of 85 :) but I am wondering if it has been compressed one too many times. What is the lifespan of a cheap neoprene wetsuit?

They do compress with age so yes, it could be less protection for temperature. The plus side is that they produce less of a buoyancy swing the older they get because the air bubbles have been squeezed out of them through use. It's a gradual thing though....not so many dives and it's gone. Next time just buy a 3 mil and by the time it's compressed down to 2.5 or so you should be fixed! :D

Iive always heard there good for around 100 dives , depending on the quality/depth it could be a few more or less

How many dives varries with quality of the suit and the depth of the dives. Lots of deeper dives will squish the gas out of the suit quicker. I have seen 200-300 dives mentioned as a useful lifespan but again I think its very varriable and somewhat subjective.

Have you lost any weight that would have loosened the fit and cost you natutral insullation?

Pete

Consider adding a hooded vest to your outfit ...if you haven't allready.

I noticed that I was gradually getting colder when I dive. I don't swim a lot since I am always diving with a camera and looking for something tiny to take a picture of. Not sure if it's MY age or the age of my wetsuit but last year I added a 3 mil hooded vest and now I'm comfortable again ...for a modest addition of weight to my belt.

Ready for some fun !!?? Find the bouyancy of your suit when it is brand new off the shelf. After 50? 60 dives repeat step 1.....The more bouyancy your suit looses the less warmth to be had from wearing said suit. I have found that the higher end suits are more bouyant than the lower end suits for the same thickness suit. Lots of fun weights and time in a pool looking like an idiot trying to sink suits! Sounds fun right?

I had the same experience after about 100 dives in my first 7 mil wet suit. The best way to compare, if possible, is to rent or borrow a similar suit and dive in it. I noticed a significant improvement with a new suit ... besides, having an old wet suit around makes for GREAT padding, arm bands to secure wireless computers, etc.

It makes sense that a wet suit would "wear out" if you understand why they work. The urban myth that wet suits work by "letting in a small amount of water that warms from body heat then keeps you warm" is ... .well, a myth. Wet suits keep you warm by 1) Isolation and 2) Insulation. "Isolation" refers to keeping your body isolated from cold water, letting in as little water in as possible. The oxymoronic claim of a "semi-Dry" wetsuit is basically a claim of good isolation. "Insulation" means keeping the cold water as far away from your body as possible. This is why adding more air to a dry suit keeps you warmer.

As wet suits age (from wear, from sunshine, from being smashed into dive bags, etc.) the neoprene begins to break down and becomes more flexible. The "bubbles" contained in the neoprene compress or flatten altogether. The increased flexibility sometimes begins letting in more water (less isolation) and the smaller/flattened bubbles make it thinner (less insulation) .

So I'm guessing that Santa will be bringing you an new wetesuit, right?

Thanks for the replies. No, I have not lost weight... but I have become a better diver and move around less which could contribute to feeling cold. The suit has been on about 50 dives below 100' which could have contributed to it's rapid thinning. It definitely feels pretty thin.

I may give the hood a try. I also have a 3mil full suit someone gave me (new) but I really like a shorty since it naturally fits better and is comfortable. Other than that, after my recent dive gear splurges, I'd better hold off on asking santa for a replacement.

Neoprene is durable, but considering the environment that wetsuits are used in they definitely have a life span. As a surfer, my wetsuits will generally hold up for two years, in FL. They lose their elasticity and tend to compress a bit w/ normal wear and tear.

As a wetsuit loses it's flexibility the amount of water that moves through the suit increases. So heat loss quickens.

salt water, air , and sunshine as well as pressure and just getting in/out of a suit will lead to it's demise.

I've also noticed that my newer "flexible/strtchy" suits do not hold up as well as the old ones did.

My 7mm's last 300-400 dives but my 3mm tend to be effective for about 100 dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom