Wetsuit Alteration At Back Zipper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cagemaker:
An auto upholstery shop is better for this type of work than a seamstress. DO NOT mess with the zipper.
OK, why?

Yes, I've definitely noticed everyone has recommended dealing with the panel seams, rather than the zipper. But why? The zipper is just sewn in with a zig-zag stitch, and it seems like any tailor/seamstress/alteration shop ought to be able to handle it no sweat. I wouldn't, but they should.

I don't know whether there even are any auto upholsery shops in this country. More likely, upholstery alteration would be done in... tailor shops! But I don't know.

I'm very interested, though, by the fact that everyone is saying this is definitely DIY-doable. Also interesting tht most of the structural strength of the seams is from the gluing... that's amazing! Doesn't seem as if there's enough contact area with a 3mm suit (doesn't even look that thick).

OK, what glue will work on neoprene? I always thought that AquaSeal/AquaSure would work... but if we're talking about a contact-cement-type of stuff, then AquaSeal/AquaSure probably isn't it...?

I do have some scraps, and will try this out when I find the right kind of cement.

Thanks!

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom