Wet to Dry Changeover?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

salub2007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Considering the water is still rather warm
even at depth in New England, +45, I have been diving wet for the sole reason that Ii am still comfortable and require less lead than going dry.

My question is what date does the bottom temps in and around Gloucester dip below 45 degrees, which is my threshold for dawning the drysuit. All feedback his welcome.

I dove my drysuit and rebreather @ Folly's Cove February 2001. I think the water was something like 38-40??? I was comfortable enuff' but cried mama after 30-40 minutes. There also wasn't a whole lot to see. I also saw some other fellas there who were wearing wetsuits, mitts and doing fine. Some local New Englanders are Wicked Tough. Not me. The wife smartly bought me some clam chowder right after the dive which saved my sorry --$$.

A look at my dive log from years past shows temps of about 45 deg. into the first week of December several times.
As for when to change over - I haven't worn a wetsuit except in the pool for at least 4 years, just much less insulation for shallow dives. 45 deg is about where I switch from wet gloves to dry gloves.
Basic rule of thumb is if you aren't up to dive number two it's time to go dry!

I usually change after a couple of uncomfortable dives in Nov. by that time it's not going to get warmer.

mid November to me is when it starts to get uncomfortable diving wet, back when I only dove wet I remember a dive the week before Thanksgiving in a 7/5 fullsuit, never again.... talk about shrinkage :wink:

So seeing how the cold weather has started early from the next dive on will be dry until May or June. Low 50's around Newport that's cold enough for me especially if I'm diving doubles.

Can't wait to get back in that ''new'' drysuit...huh...A.D.

Can't wait to get back in that ''new'' drysuit...huh...A.D.

Today is the day after a few dry weeks I'l be diving err... dry today at FW. I need some time away from surface world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom