wet suit not suitable for scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before I transferred to the east coast, water temps below 40 degrees were common year round at any depth below 100' and 35 to 39 degree water temps were the norm, except on ice dives where it would be 32-33 degrees right under the ice.

Fresh water begins to expand at 35 degrees, and begins to rise, so you see 32 at the under surface of the ice and 35 at the bottom. That's why bodies of water freeze at the surface rather than at the bottom, and we're fortunate that is the case as the ice insulates the rest of the water and prevents the entire body of water from freezing. If that were not the case, we'd be living (or not) on a giant ball of ice.

My preference was a good fitting 7mm neoprene dry suit. The insulating properties of the thick neoprene shell prevent the condensation you get inside a bi-lam or tri-lam thin shell suit. Plus, if it floods you still have a very effective semi-dry wet suit. On dives in the 40 degree range, a wicking base layer undergarment was sufficient, and in 32-35 degree water I'd add a fleece undergarment and ensure I ran the suit with enough gas to keep undergarment fully lofted.

Now, with most of my diving in 68-70 degree water - but up to 5 hour long dives, I dive a 4mm compressed (not crushed) neoprene drysuit with an wicking base layer under garment.

In both cases, the suits still swim very much like a wet suit, and in like a thin shell suit, they won't bite you if you run them significantly squeezed.

Do they really? A drysuit bubble is a bubble to be managed with or without fuzzies. Would it really be any different?

I don't know, never tried it. Just seems like the best of both worlds to me. I may try it someday...
I’m the wrong guy to ask if it’s in reference to a shell suit.
I used to use a Teknodiver Super Duty Commercial 7mm neoprene drysuit until the zipper went bad. When I found out it was going to be over $600 to replace the zipper I put it in the trash and bought a nice wetsuit instead.
I used sweats and sometimes a t-shirt and shorts as underwear because I could with a neoprene drysuit.
My guess using a wetsuit under a shell would be that the neoprene wetsuit will still compress at depth and the lowest parts where the shell presses up against your body will still conduct cold worse than the upper parts where the air is. For this reason I still see some need for some sort of lofty material between the compressed thin wetsuit and the shell that will provide some added insulation. But I could see a thin wetsuit worn under a shell with undergarments could help keep heat in your core. It might also help keep the lofty undergarments dryer since all your sweating would be contained in the wetsuit.
Try it and let us know.

...//... It might also help keep the lofty undergarments dryer since all your sweating would be contained in the wetsuit.
Try it and let us know.
I only have a monster cold water neo. *sigh*

If I could get all that and my fuzzies inside of my neo drysuit, I'd be worried about spontaneous combustion...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom