wet suit not suitable for scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 3ml wetsuit that I have done 250 dives in and it has been brilliant, especially on four dives a day LOBs. i only recently noticed that it says not for scuba on the label.

I believe there are two types of neoprene, open cell and closed cell. Closed sell is most often used in Scuba wet suits, while open cell is used in free diving suits and surfing wet suits. I’ve been told that you don’t want to pee in an open cell suit as these suits absorb water and do compress more than closed cell suits. I’m no expert on these materials but have used both types and they do have different properties.

FWIW, and it doesn't necessarily apply to the two piece you found. In addition to scuba, my wife is a competitive open water 10k+ marathon swimmer. If it's cold enough that she swims with a wetsuit (and I'm going to assume this applies to the surf/kayak/non-submerged sports), her racing tec-suit is a hell of a lot more buoyant and has a "high tech" hydrophobic outer skin that does NOT absorb water. It's very different than her comparable thickness scuba wetsuit.

Since my initial post, I've done some research on freediving wetsuits and discovered there is a difference between freediving wetsuits and scuba diving wetsuits. However, the difference is not great enough that you could not use them safely interchangeably, though their performance characteristics vary.

Both types of wetsuits are made from closed-cell neoprene. Open cell neoprene is where the bubbles are connected allowing water to pass through the material, like a kitchen sponge. This would provide very little insulation underwater. They are termed "open cell" by freedivers because the inner layer of neoprene is cut during manufacturing, exposing a layer of open cells which acts as suction cups on the skin. Apparently, this is why they are difficult to get on and off. This effect prevents sea water from circulating throughout the suit and keeps the diver warmer. The drawback is they are more fragile and difficult to use and maintain.

Scuba wetsuits generally have a fabric inner layer glued onto the neoprene giving it strength and ease of donning. But this allows a layer of water to enter the suit. Since the amount of circulation is low, and the water heats quickly from the diver's body heat, this is not a major drawback in scuba diving.

Last edited:
I’m the wetsuit king!
I own many wetsuits of all different thicknesses and materials.
I have several custom made wetsuits, two of which are made from the original Rubatex G231N American made solid rubber nitrogen blown “neoprene”, as it was originally marketed (for insulation on body panels on cars in the 50’s.)
I also have a commercial harvesting suit made from a modern commercial neoprene that is stiffer than G231N and it’s made in South Korea. And then I have several off the rack suits of varying thicknesses and styles.

They regulate stiffness in neoprene by adding nylon to make different blends. There are dozens of different materials available all with different specs for different applicatiobs. A good custom wetsuit maker will have a broader knowledge of all the different materials available and will also know where to source them. They will also ask what type of diving you plan to do and will match the material to your needs.

Off the rack suits are a lot more generic. The basic scuba wetsuits will be made from an average compression material that has a nice balance between softness and compression resistance. They will also have zippers and a lining material.
Freediving suits are a little more specific. Most originally were made from Yamamoto from Japan, a very high quality luxurious neoprene (and expensive). More recently we’ve been seeing knock off Yamamoto style neoprenes from China which contain more nylon and tend to not rebound as well as the higher rubber content materials. One way to tell is the price, genuine Yamamoto suits will always be higher priced and they will ge labelled. whereas the cheaper knock off suits can be had cheap at blow out sales.
Yamamoto figured out a way to blow rubber so the bubbles are microscopically fine for flexibility and rebound ability with a minimal amount of nylon.
Typical average freediving suits are softer and have less compression resistance than typical scuba suits. Freediving suits also don't have any zippers so a softer stretchier material is needed to get in and out.
Cheap freediving suits can be ruined in one deep scuba dive. Cheap scuba suits can also be ruined in one deep scuba dive.
You get what you pay for. If you want a suit made out of superior material then you will have to pay for it.
You will not find premium wetsuits for sale dirt cheap unless it’s a complete fluke.

Last edited:
@Eric Sedletzky

I have so often thought that a thin skin-tight custom wetsuit would be superior to ANY drysuit undergarment in brutal cold water. (wetsuit in addition to a drysuit)

thoughts?

@Eric Sedletzky is you could only dive one suit, ( where you live), and lock up all the rest, which would be your favorite to wear?
My Yamamoto freediving suit, for everything...
...But If it’s really cold like below 45 degrees I will put on my 1/2” Rubatex suit. Although I haven’t worn that one in several years, I would probably be very sore the next day from the workout.
It would almost be impossible for me to just use one suit around here, probably why I have a closet full.

@Eric Sedletzky

I have so often thought that a thin skin-tight custom wetsuit would be superior to ANY drysuit undergarment in brutal cold water. (wetsuit in addition to a drysuit)

thoughts?
I don’t know how that would work.
Drysuits need an airspace supported by lofty undergarments. Maybe a thin wetsuit and undergarments?

Do they really? A drysuit bubble is a bubble to be managed with or without fuzzies. Would it really be any different?

I don't know, never tried it. Just seems like the best of both worlds to me. I may try it someday...

Back
Top Bottom