Wet Suit Help - Comfortability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jk1nole

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I could use some help buying a new wetsuit. My current 3/2 is uncomfortable because of the way I am built. I am about 5'6", 150 lbs… and pretty muscular up top. The BARE medium I have (cost $100) I feel is too tight, but I'm afraid a large won't fit right either because of my height.

Should I have one custom made from somewhere? Or would a better quality wetsuit help. I don't mind spending more within reason. I'm thinking go getting something a little thicker so I have a warmer one. I do most of my diving in FL.

What are some brands I can look at?

Thanks. That tailor fit option might be the way to go. I'm curious to see what people say about them. Maybe I'll check some reviews out.

I have yet to find a stock size that would fit me as well as a custom. I believe there should not be any such thing as a stock size because this is not jeans, not t shirts but a freaking wetsuit!!!

My stock size fits quite nicely, thank you.

Henderson makes suits that fit me and do it well. Well worth checking it out for the price. I have a 3 and a 5 ML.

Last edited:
I forced myself to believe the same about my Henderson because I had spent a lot of money on it. Then I tried a custom fit and realized how a wetsuit is meant to fit like. It was so well fitted I felt like I was diving naked.

Downloadswetwear.jpg

This is the new custom that I ordered. It cost me less than Henderson and fitting wise it beat any brand name out there.

wetsuit1.jpg

Attachments

• Downloadswetwear.jpg
    Downloadswetwear.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 199
Try on a suit that has a little more stretch in it than normal neoprene... it will fit better and be easier to get into.

You talk about Bare medium as too tight but a Bare Large is too big? Not trying to tell you to stick with Bare, but they have has 5 sizes in between medium and large - if you aren't interested in the custom route, there's a good chance one might fit - especially in a stretchier neoprene (Velocity or Elastek depending on what you currently have)

Can you go to an LDS to try some on? I've found great deals at my LDS on wetsuits and the selection helps me to find the right fit. I'm 5'1", 145 and have large hips/shoulders for my height.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom