Wet suit fit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to use a dive skin but found its much better when its"skin to wetsuit" ,just use the hair conditioner trick to slide it on easily.Also different manufactures cut there suits differently. Even if it gives weight/height the variables are so many(chest/arms/waist/thighs)not only length but diameter. I had a large chest(48"-50") with a small waist(34"-36") and at 6'2" 210lb it was hard to fit everywhere. I tried on 4 diff suits at LDS, ordered 5 more from Scuba.com(return policy is great) tried 2 more shops until I found which brand fit best. Ended up with Xcel 9/7/6,fits great (glide skin inside) and is warm down to 44º f. I do a lot of diving Calif coast.When doing multi dives some of the "Vets" showed me the hair conditioner trick.(and I smell spring fresh..lol)

I used to use the conditioner with a gold-skin Henderson, but with my current nylon lined wetsuit (custom) there's no need. The dry skin-nylon interface is just fine for donning. Adding a dive skin underneath is a solution to a non existent problem, and it could could create other issues such as pulling or bunching, and slows gearing up. I'm not sure what it does to the insulation properties of the neoprene.

I have an AquaLung 4 way stretch 7mm and it fits me pretty well. I do wear a lycra dive skin and recommend that. But you may actually have an advantage if you have a little room there.

I think you are diving California waters and up north here, the water is anywhere from 45 - 55.

If I had a little more room in the torso, which it sounds like you do, I would wear a hooded vest under the suit.

You did not mention if it was a one piece or farmer john, but I am thinking it is a one piece.

You may very well find that you have enough room for a hooded vest and that could make you very comfortable.

I am fine for a couple of dives but don't know about making it three dives in a day.

I used to use the conditioner with a gold-skin Henderson, but with my current nylon lined wetsuit (custom) there's no need. The dry skin-nylon interface is just fine for donning. Adding a dive skin underneath is a solution to a non existent problem, and it could could create other issues such as pulling or bunching, and slows gearing up. I'm not sure what it does to the insulation properties of the neoprene.
A dive skin under a nylon lined suit can make a big improvement in comfort if you dive a lot. When I was commercial diving and working hard 5 hrs per day underwater, the back of my knees and under my arm pits would be "done tore up" without a dive skin underneath. It does nothting for warmth, but they make sense in some situations.

Update...my LDS ordered the next size down for me to try on and today I went and tried on both suits. I could immediately tell the smaller suit was a better fit and the woman working in the shop agreed. I was afraid maybe i was just being paranoid or overly picky so it was nice to hear that she agreed with me that the larger suit had too much extra room and i wasnt just imagining it. I'm so glad I decided to push the issue rather than settle for "close enough". Thanks for all the advice everyone. :)

---------- Post added April 11th, 2013 at 02:28 PM ----------

Oh and yes, I am diving in Southern CA. Sorry I guess I forgot to put that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom