Wet or dry in Hawaii in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nwcid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
GF and I are new divers (less then 20 dives each) and have a trip planned the first week of May to Kona. We planned this trip before we were divers but now since we are diving is on the list. Right now it looks like we will have 3-4 days 2 dives/day with one day of 3-4 dives. Talking to a local diver he says temps are running between 73-75. He said right now 5mm wetsuits are the norm but some people bring their own 7mm and are happy or can flush if they get too warm.

We are from the PNW so we both currently have full 7mm with 7mm FJ. GF will be using her 7mm full (since it is what we have). I picked up a used Whites Aqua Pro SE and did my last 2 dives in it (including my "check out"). Since I have the new suit I am considering taking it not for the warmth but because the dives I did in it I felt like I had way better trim. The suit seemed to feel more natural to me if that makes sense. As far as packing goes both are about the same weight and size.

I am a little worried about running hot because I am on the warm side. My plan was to just wear a pair of basic poly/wool thermal underwear I have.

I understand that exposure protection is very personal but I am looking for any thoughts because I have no first hand experience here. I tried doing a search on similar topics but apparently I was not using the correct terms to get threads that answered my questions.

If you are used to Puget Sound, then you will likely be warm in either your 7mm or dry suit. If you get some light underwear, you can probably get away with your dry suit, but will be very warm on the surface.

Just my 2 cents

By May I am usually not wearing much more than a 3 mm and by June I am going no wetsuit at all. You might not overheat in a drysuit but it does seem like a bit of an overkill.

Just dove Kona last week and the water was 74-75 degrees. My wife wore a full 3mm suit with Henderson skin under that. I wore a full 5mm with rash guard under the suit. Both of us were perfectly comfortable, and we are from Texas so not used to the colder waters that you dive in. FWIW, I did not not see a single diver in a dry suit when diving in any of the Hawaiian islands.

Hmm. A 7mm or dry suit may seem over kill. Usually, you can get away with diving with a full 3mm or 5mm (if you're the type that gets cold). But it sounds like you're the warm type, so I would recommend diving with a 3 or 5 mm full length wet suit. :]

Looking like it is warmer then I was told. Looks like wet for me too.

Dont have the extra cash to drop on 2 more wetsuits just for this trip. It will be 7mm or nothing. If it is really that warm it very well could be nothing for me.

for the 7mm farmer john, you might want to leave the jacket off, it will probably be warm enough

No plans on even bringing the FJ. Just the base full suit.

Board shorts and rash guard last August on Kauai in 75-76F water. Didn't get cold even doing three dives at Ni'ihau. I've since gotten a long sleeve Lavacore top that I'll be wearing instead of the rash guard.

I've never seen people with more exposure gear on that I thought was over kill than in HI. Many of the people I dove with were in 7mm, hoods and gloves. Blew my mind almost as much as how the gloved divers groped the reef and it's inhabitants like they were their prom dates...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom