Wet Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

makes sense, thank you

Hmmm. At first, it sounds like it could also be under the inflator valve. No matter what the directions say about just needing the valve alone, I have removed mine and put silicone under it. This stopped the leakage on mine.

On the other hand, when you add the part about the right hip, I start to move back to it being a zipper related issue. Do you have the old style zipper that closes from top to bottom (the newer one goes from bottom to top)? If you do, are you absolutely positive that you are closing the zipper all the way?

yup, i have the "top to bottom" zipper. and i make sure it's snug and closed all the
way (i yank on it gently a few times), having been told about this very issue.

Where are you getting wet? Front/Back/Top/Bottom/All over etc?

If its everywhere or specifically front or back it would hint at neck seal.

Has it got an autodump? Ive seen both those and inflators leak but not massive amounts.

If you close off the valve wearing the suit and blow yourself up like a balloon, does moving the neck and wrists into differrnt positions vent any air?

If its this difficult, I'de suggest a pool session were you go go in and out real fast andtake off the suits to spot the leak. Maybe if you also wear some clothing that the water will show up on also. I know finding a pool isnt easy but it worth a try with the upcomming nice weather or maybe a clean lake someplace.

Swap drysuits with a buddy. He wears yours you wear his. If it doesn't leak on him and his leaks on you, well then its the wearer. If yours is nice and dry on him, but his floods, again its the wearer. If neither leak, it was a crease in the neck seal. Obviously you get the sequence, of leaks or no leaks. Now to find a buddy your size who is willing to have his suit flooded?

Tassie_Rohan:
If its the neck or wrist seal consider getting a thingy called a Bioseal (by Apollo): they are a sort of stretchy rubber ring with an awful sticky/gooey/silly putty feeling that you put around your neck and wrists before doning the suit: the suits seals cling to them real well. I had occasional problems with my neck seal until I got one of these..

Rohan, how long have you been using these. I was actually considering a set of these for my wrists. Do they last a long time? Are they degrading the latex prematurely?
Thanks.

rstark:
Rohan, how long have you been using these. I was actually considering a set of these for my wrists. Do they last a long time? Are they degrading the latex prematurely?
Thanks.

I've only used mine for 2 months so I can't really help you with how long they last. Others have used theirs regularly for a year or so and they still seem to work fine. Haven't heard of them degrading the latex - have you heard of this occurring? I would have thought as long as the seals are rinsed after the dive the brief contact between the bioseal and latex shouldn't do any damage....

If the choice is between diving dry every dive and replacing the seals a bit earlier or putting up with nagging leaks i'd go with the early seal replacement option (and this time not trim so much off....).

Cheers,
Rohan.

Tassie_Rohan:
- have you heard of this occurring? I would have thought as long as the seals are rinsed after the dive the brief contact between the bioseal and latex shouldn't do any damage....

I have heard this. I've also heard that after a day of use you should rinse them with SOAP and water.

Tassie_Rohan:
If the choice is between diving dry every dive and replacing the seals a bit earlier or putting up with nagging leaks i'd go with the early seal replacement option (and this time not trim so much off....).

I agree with you on this. I'm going to try out a set of Bioseals in a few weeks. If I really like them I might switch to neoprene wrist seals on my next seal change.

quick update:

i went diving with GDI and Scubafool, both members here, today. got soaked
on the first dive.

GDI took a look at the suit, and found a small tear (about the size of the eye of a
needle, only thinner). he did a great job patching it up with aquaseal, some glue,
and neoprene.

on the second dive, i was MUCH drier. i had been so wet before that i could not feel
water coming in through my neck seal, but on this last dive, i did feel a little bit
of water.

when i got out of the suit, i found a little water on my shirt, but nothing like the total
soakings i had been taking before.

so... tomorrow we dive again, and i hope that the dry spell continues.

thanks all for all the input, though... i've learned a lot. hopefully, this will take care
of the major flooding and i can work on my "neck turning" technique.

and thanks to GDI, for finding and fixing the leak, and for Scubafool for donating his
plumbing tools ("yes, I used these in a sewer yesterday") and helping out.

thanks guys

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom