Wet Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
DUI TLS 350, used, in good shape.

i get soaked when i dive. i do bathtub test. can't find leaks.

LDS does 3 leak tests over two days. can't find leaks.

zipper is 1 year old. LDS is 100% sure the zipper isn't leaking.

suspects:

1. neck seal -- maybe i'm moving my neck too much from side to side

2. valve (LDS says it's a good valve). I have a high profile DUI (Apeks?) valve.

i guess my options are to get a tighter neck seal, if possible, and maybe
change out the valve (i can get a Sitech installed for $100)

would appreciate your thoughts

How tight do you feel the next and wrist seals is now?/ Also look along the zipper for any possible fraying.

Suggestion: Turn wrist and neck seals inside out (from inside), rubber band them closed, zip it up, inflate it, have a mild soapy solution on hand, look for bubbles. Leo.

the wrist seals feel pretty tight.. the neck seal is ok... i dont' feel much
constriction

i have been burning the edges of the zipper with a lighter getting rid of fraying
before each day of diving

H2Andy:
DUI TLS 350, used, in good shape.
I get soaked when i dive. i do bathtub test. can't find leaks.

I lay it on a picnic table, and turn it inside-out, zip it up, block the armholes (what'd you call me?) and run the long hose thru the neck. Then I take a strip of Tshirt and tie the seal around the hose and I inflate the suit (all Michelan Man) using the purge valve on the reg (I squeeze it at the neck seal or in one of the arms...) I then commence spraying it down with a 50/50 dishwashing soap / water solution.

Even the smallest leaks foam up. They're easy to find this way. I make a note of where the leak is (I use taylor's chalk - like they use when hemming your slacks), wait for it to dry, mix up some Cotol / Aquaseal (50/50) and use a cheap $.50 3/4" wide paint brush to cover the leak.

Be sure the place you are patching is level, or else the goo will sort of mudslide down the leg / arm / wherever. It drys very quickly. I do another test, then go for a dive.

Pay close attention to the feet, knees and inside leg seams.

If you haven't done this yet (turned the suit completely inside-out) you will probably be amazed at all the Aquaseal / Cotol scabs on the inside of the suit. Random dots here and there. They're the scars of a suit that actually gets dived!

---
Ken

Can you try a test dive?

Put on dry underwear and do a short dive, just long enough to start getting wet. Now when you get out it should be clear where the water is coming in.

If the testing is not finding leaks the problem is most likely the ability (or lack of ability) of the seals to seal to your wrists and/or neck.

Now you could go to dry gloves and a yoked helmet but that is a bit overkill for sport.

The suggestions for testing for a leak are all good. But, if you know where the water is first coming in (as in neck or wrist) you can save a lot of time and money. In my own experience my suit leaked the first few times I dove it. Then having another diver look at my neck seal, pushing in down as low on the neck as possible, and making sure no hair was under it, guess what? No more water inside! I bet you're wearing the neck seal too high up on the neck. Pull the wrist seals up your arm until they are very snug. Wax the zipper, pull it tight using the linyard. Do a shallow dive to test.

Oh, you are burping the suit before entering the water aren't you? If not you could be forcing air out your neck seal and wrist seals which of course lets water in. To burp the suit, squat down and fold your arms around yourself and sqeeze out all of the air in the suit. Then finish putting on the BC etc.

Mo2vation:
I lay it on a picnic table, and turn it inside-out, zip it up, block the armholes (what'd you call me?) and run the long hose thru the neck. Then I take a strip of Tshirt and tie the seal around the hose and I inflate the suit (all Michelan Man) using the purge valve on the reg (I squeeze it at the neck seal or in one of the arms...) I then commence spraying it down with a 50/50 dishwashing soap / water solution.

Even the smallest leaks foam up. They're easy to find this way. I make a note of where the leak is (I use taylor's chalk - like they use when hemming your slacks), wait for it to dry, mix up some Cotol / Aquaseal (50/50) and use a cheap $.50 3/4" wide paint brush to cover the leak.

Be sure the place you are patching is level, or else the goo will sort of mudslide down the leg / arm / wherever. It drys very quickly. I do another test, then go for a dive.

Pay close attention to the feet, knees and inside leg seams...

Ken

I thought I had already learned everything, until today. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom