Wet breathing reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RP Diver

Reaction score
I was reading a post in another thread where a member was talking about a wet breathing regulator, and that the brand he was referring to was noted for being so. This puzzled me, as I am an experienced diver, but I have never experienced such a thing. I admit that I have used my (one and only) USD Conshelf SE-2 for 16 years, and only used a different reg a couple of times, but all that I have tried were quite dry breathing. I think that if I had a reg that allowed water into it on a dive, I would feel that I had a faulty piece of equipment. :11:

Would I be right, or is this wet regulator just something that is out of my experience?

RP Diver:
I was reading a post in another thread where a member was talking about a wet breathing regulator, and that the brand he was referring to was noted for being so. This puzzled me, as I am an experienced diver, but I have never experienced such a thing. I admit that I have used my (one and only) USD Conshelf SE-2 for 16 years, and only used a different reg a couple of times, but all that I have tried were quite dry breathing. I think that if I had a reg that allowed water into it on a dive, I would feel that I had a faulty piece of equipment. :11:

Would I be right, or is this wet regulator just something that is out of my experience?

Go Here. http://www.scubaboard.com/t16332-.html

The only time I had a wet regulator was when the exhaust valve had a hole in it...time to service it. I would feel that I had a faulty piece of equipment in most cases. Some people say some regulators are wet breathers because water may seep in slightly in an awkward position. I personally believe any “wet” regulator needs to be carefully inspected. Magazine articles seem to use this term quite frequently…which is quite frightening.

Hi Rick,

Was that my post you are referring to? The reg I am talking about is an Oceanic Omega and when I was breathing off it, it was horrible! I coughed the whole time I was breathing from it and then on the boat for another 10 - 15 min or so. No-one else seemed to have the same trouble as me (we were taking turns breathing the hot mix on our course) so I don't know if it was just me or what. Apparently you need to hold them in your mouth just right or they breathe wet and this has been noted in a lot of reviews of the Omega. If my Mares reg started breathing wet on me, then I would seriously think something was wrong, but apparently with the Omegas it is not out the norm. Either way, it's going to take a lot of convincing to make me switch to the Omega.

Mel :)

Ok, I didn't think a reg should allow water in. I know my Conshelf is dry in any position. I often hang head down checking out cracks and crevices, or turn over on my back in swim throughs, and I've never experienced even a small amount of seepage. :crafty:

Some regulators including the Oceanic Omega and the old Tekna 2100 and the Poseidin Cyclon--all side exhaust and even several more conventional units can breath slightly wet. I have dived the Omega many times and while occasionally it has a touch of water it has not proven a problem. Tilting the head slightly down to the exhaust side helps bunches. It really is not a problem.
I have an old Calypso that started breathing wet, the exhaust valve was stiff and replacing it eliminated the problem.
It is not so much that solid water is coming in--it is more like an occasional mist. It does not bother me but if it bothers you switch to a different type and or make sure your unit is serviced. Also, a pinched or damaged main diaphram can cause leakage or the case band holding the diaphram might be loose. A mouthpiece that is not tight to the case outlet will also cause wet breathing. Occasionaly debris in the exhaust port, corrosion or having the exhaust valve fold back can casue wet breathing as can having an incorrect part installed.N

RP Diver:
Ok, I didn't think a reg should allow water in. I know my Conshelf is dry in any position. I often hang head down checking out cracks and crevices, or turn over on my back in swim throughs, and I've never experienced even a small amount of seepage. :crafty:

It's relative and mostly has to do with oddball positions, like inverted. My Aqualung doesn't let hardly any water in either, even upside down. The Apeks regs of two of my friends are "wet" by comparison, especially inverted. My Sherwood maximus lets so much water in when ít's upside down that you can't swim on your back with it.

Regs that exhaust to the side lkike the omega, the dacor viper etc. seem to have more trouble with water seeping in through the exhaust valve in the upright position but they have the advantage that there is no upside down.

R..

A few years ago regulator manufactures tried out a plan to introduce some mosture to the air supply to keep the divers throats moist and not overly dryed out if the dive shop's air compressor eleminated all the moisture from the air. Some Dive shops I've used in the past were this way. I just changed shops and the problem was "cured". B-

As indicated above, wet beathing can be common in a second stage in an unusual attitude as a small amount of water may enter the second stage through the exhaust valve during the exhalation phase and then pool in the "bottom" of the second stage where it is then drawn into the mouthpiece during the inhalation phase. In this case though the wet breathing should only occur in certain positions like upside down or looking straight up or straight down.

If a reg breathes wet all the time, there is most likely something wrong. Possible problems are a pin hole in the diaphragm, a leaking exhaust valve or bent exhaust valve cage, or a leaking o-ring in the second stage case.

Most of these can be detected with proper pre-dive checks. You should always try to breath from each second stage with the reg attached to the tank but before the air is turned on. Alternatively the test can be done with a tight fitting o-ring sealed dust cap attached to the reg. You should not get any air at all through the second stage when inhaling hard on the second stage. Any air at all indicates a leak somewhere that should be addressed.

dilligaf368:
A few years ago regulator manufactures tried out a plan to introduce some mosture to the air supply to keep the divers throats moist and not overly dryed out if the dive shop's air compressor eleminated all the moisture from the air. Some Dive shops I've used in the past were this way. I just changed shops and the problem was "cured". B-
Older metal cased regs almost never caused dry mouth due to the tendency for condensation to form on the metal when the diver exhaled. This condensation was normally re-inspired with the next breath and prevented dry mouth.

Dry mouth however is a common affliction with modern graphite resin / plastic cased second stages, particularly those that use a plastic air barrel.

Some plastic cased regs use metal air barrels and the metal will cause condensation to form from the diver's exhaled breath and be re-inspired much like a metal cased reg but to a slightly lesser extent.

Being a cold water diver, I get really nervous if the air is not as dry as possible as moisture can freeze in the first stage and cause a freeze up. So while relatively "wet" air will cure the dry mouth problem it can cause other problems such as frozen first stages and it is probably not the best idea for steel tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom