Westsuit fit - neck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jibjab

Contributor
Reaction score
hey, i'm 150 pounds, 6 feet, and bought a bare arctic 7mm fullsuit and 7mm vest in a medium tall. i wear a 15" inch neck for shirts. i got my wetsuit in the mail yesterday and tried it on, wasn't too difficult to get on, its tight but not uncomfortably so. its most noticable when bending forward, i get some resistance in the upper back/shoulders. the only thing thats a little uncomfortable is the neck, it squeezes a bit, i can breathe fine but the veins in my neck do show a bit more.. then again the veins in my hands also show more as well. also when i zip the hood up it feels like my cheeks and chin are getting scrunched up.

it was dry, in my living room, and its my first wetsuit so i just want to know if these are issues i should be worried about or if this is the way it is? i'm pretty skinny and i have a small neck so i'm thinking i shouldn't be concerned about the neck thing because odds are everyone else that owns this wetsuit probably has a larger neck than me.. or am i wrong? will it loosen up a bit with use?

thanks

ps. i ordered one of those 6 foot signal tubes, i got it and its the size of a soda can rolled up, i'm supposed to fit this in a pocket???

If the veins in your neck are standing out, it's probably too tight. I never trust sizing charts and prefer to try stuff on. do a google search for carotid sinus reflex.

2 points:

1) Fit on dry land and fit in the water are vastly different things.
2) A size 15 neck is not large. I wear a 15.5-16 myself, and have never had a problem with any stock neck sizes. It's the linebackers and weight room junkies with massive necks that would need to be concerned.

Get yourself in the water (find a friend with a pool?) and you'll see how much better it fits. Or not. But crunching over in your living room a brand new thick neoprene wetsuit is not going to tell you how it is going to work in actual service.

jibjab:
its tight but not uncomfortably so. its most noticable when bending forward, i get some resistance in the upper back/shoulders.

IMO this is a red flag. It sounds like the suit is not tall enough or quite possibly only too short in the torso. Not every trim human fits a stock suit. Since you are already in the "tall" versions of the size I wonder how a stock Large would be? The suit should roll on and not really feel vein popping tight even topside pre-dive. Remember you need to manage getting to the water with your gear while wearing this outfit. Any observable altering of your veins is another red flag.

FWIW I dive that combo in XL and it's a great suit. That reminds me I need to go out and tend my gear after tonight's dive.

Latter,
Pete

I have a couple of custom suits (3, plus a hood) and 2 stock suits. The suit that I think fits the best and the suit that I like the best is the Pinacle Aquatics Seal. its a full 3mm suit with double rolled wrist, ankles and neck and then a merino wool liner (which I love). The double rolled seal on the neck Lets the neck fit a little looser while keeping a nice water tight seal. They also make 5/3, 5, 7/5, 7 and hooded suits in 8/6. Check out their stuff at Pinnacle Aquatics

PS. I don't work for them, or anyone else related to diving, just really like their suits and maybe you will too.
-Josh

Pressure on the neck is definitely a red flag, as spectrum said. You don't want pressure on your neck because that can cause some big problems!

Good luck!

C U underwater, :snorkel:
ScubaDivaDivemaster

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom