West Oahu - "bomber" which model?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chimchim

Registered
Reaction score
There's a dive site off west oahu that was referred to as "bomber".

But I can't remember the model of the WW2 era bomber.

Google doesn't help because there are so many discrepancies... some calling it a b29, some a b17, etc.

Does anyone know, definitively, what model it is and if there is any avail info on the history of it?

I'm by no means an expert on Oahu dive sites, but the only one I know off the leeward side that features a plane is Airplane Canyon. According to the literature I've seen, the airplane is a Beech twin engine plane that lies upside down in about 90-feet of water. It was sunk in the mid 1980's; washed out to sea during Hurricane Iniki; then located and repositioned in 1994. That's the official version, anyway.

Probably the best person to answer your question is Captain Scotty, the skipper of the "Nacho". He's been diving and captaining a boat in tha area for ages, and is an encyclopedia of information. He's here on the board as DiveWestOahu.

Do you have a link to the West Side Bomber?

There is Airplane Canyons which is a Beechcraft 18

Flight 29 Down (used in the Discovery Kids show of the same title) which is a de Havilland Heron

Both in rough shape. There are some military wrecks but in deeper water, but most are single engine.

I agree capt Scotty would know.

There is a [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SBD-2[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dauntless[/FONT] off Ewa but it is DEEP.

Pacific Wrecks - SBD-2 Dauntless Bureau Number 2136

I believe Island Divers found a dive bomber too, but cant find any info on it on the web.

There is a bomber out off of makua supposedly in about 165ft... Way back when Fritz the second owner from captain bruce was alive he used to take select groups to it(not me) I confirmed its existence with an old time trop collector I know he used to see it once in a while. We have tried to find it but no luck yet but we havent tried lately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom