West Maui Mts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know the elevation of the West Maui mountain area?

Our friends traveling with us are interested in horseback riding, and I'd love to go with them, but I have to know if it's safe to dive and ride with Ironwood Stables (in Napili) on the same day. Somehow I'm thinking it's okay, but I figured asking you guys would be the prudent thing to do.

TIA!

I haven't taken a ride on the horses there in Napili but, I know the ranch your talking about. I don't know where they take their riders but, I can't imagine it'll be too high. There are foot hills around there but, nothing like Haleakala. I would check with the wranglers there. It also depends on how long the ride is. If it's an all day thing, they might cover a lot of ground in west Maui. If your "rear" is not conditioned for riding horses, I would keep it as short as possible. I ride all the time and if I don't ride for a month, after an hour I get pretty sore, lol.

I would definitely suggest going over to Napili Bay for a day at the beach. I've been going there since I was a teenager. Snorkeling can be great there "most of the time." I've seen a lot of turtles there. It's a beautiful setting with Lanai and Molokai in the background. Beautiful sunsets!!!

I've also done a couple of dives there. Very shallow but, if you know where to go it can be fun! I think I maxed out at 25' there. Lots of turtles there. It's one of Maui's best beaches. In my book it's the best! I have several friends around Maui that have offered their homes to me but, I always find myself going back to Napili......despite the fact that the Kihei boat ramp is about a 50 minute drive at 5AM in the morning, lol. One of Maui's best kept secrets.....at least it used to be. PM me and I'll give you directions on how to get in there and where the turtles hang out.

If you decide to take a drive up into the west Maui mtns. the road gets VERY narrow there depending on how far you go. Barely enough room for a van in some spots. Be very careful up there and take the drive slowly. You will have NO phone service. There's a gift shop at the top of the mountain (can't remember the name and I don't know what the elevation is there) but, you can't miss it. Some local artists have their things for sale up there. Very cool stuff!

I wish I could remember which mile marker to tell you where the Nakelele blow hole is but, it's on the road to west Maui mtns. Pretty cool lava formations there. That whole side of the island is gorgeous!

Thanks for all the information. :) I fired the stables an e-mail so hopefully they'll get back to me in the next day or so. The ride I'm looking at is a 2-hour sunset ride, so I'd guess we'll ride to a lookout point, watch the sunset, then ride back to the stables. Might be a little much for my butt, but I love to ride to the pain will be worth it. :wink:

lol you'll feel it but, you wont too bad. If it was an all day thing, I would say....better get your diving done before you get on a horse, lol.

Let us know how your ride goes. If you love horses like I do, the pain is always worth it.

Have fun!

I had 9 horses, down to two horses and can't wait to be rid of the last of them. What was I thinking?

My topo maps show no trails or roads in the area of Ironwood ranch higher than 1500ft elevation. The west Maui Mts. are about 5740 ft above sea level, with some of the most beautiful scenery imaginable up there ... it's just a long hike :wink:

s-1.jpg

s-2.jpg

s-3.jpg

The photos are all from the 4500 ft region

Nice pictures Tim!! One of these days I need to go take a ride there. I'm just so busy diving, there's no time to ride...and when you have horses you tend to not go rent but, I'm sure the ride is something I'm missing out on there. Next trip (which I'm already planning). :wink:

Al....I had 11 (2 not mine) and now down to 4, plus a mini donkey, a couple of sheep a few goats a dwarfed black angus cow a couple of potbellied pigs and countless more critters you don't even want to know about, lol. You would think after a 200.00 WEEKLY feed bill, I would wonder "what was I thinking" but, I don't regret having them. I've had so much fun with them despite the bumps and bruises and scars I've accumulated. They're coming to Maui with me. I Just have to come up with the $30,000.00 plus to get them over there. :icosm13: A couple of them might be gone by the time we get ready to move but, my horses are pretty young so I think they have some years left in them. (which is a good thing :D )

Actually I'm not sure horses could get to where those shots were taken :wink: a good deal of that "hike" was on hands and knees crawling up embankments and chutes and wading through foliage which had frequent 6-8ft holes you'd simply fall into. Fortunately it was a very dry time so the mud was only calf deep instead of the usual thigh deep :( Then again I'm not any kind of "equestrian" so I really don't know where they can and cannot get to.

By the sound of your feed bill I think I'll stick to fish ... the ones in the ocean that is :wink:

kidspot:
By the sound of your feed bill I think I'll stick to fish ... the ones in the ocean that is :wink:

Might be the smart thing to do, lol.

You would be surprised to where a horse can go. Maybe I'll take a mule, lol. They are a little more sure footed.

Back
Top Bottom