Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Staying with the wet gloves over latex seals

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Staying with the wet gloves over neoprene seals

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation:
I do sissy single tank recreation weenie diving - so for my DUI, the zip gloves made sense. Its a rare day in SoCal when it gets in the low 50s, but it happens. And I'll dive PNW and NorCal sometimes where it will get in the low-low 50s, high 40s. The rest of the time for me, diving is in the 58 - 64 range - fine for wet gloves, so I zip off the smurfy gloves, zip on the seals, its all good.

And as much as it pains me to admit to it (the Uncle Pug Dry Glove = Warmer Feet postulate) it is true.

'Sissy' - don't you believe it. Betcha 7/8 of all the miscreants on here never stuck their big toes in anything less than 65F.

The UP corollary makes sense to me.

Thanks for the info, kids - I (for one) am gonna go for it. Those zip seal doodads that allow one to flip either way sound like the answer, to me.

Doole - I would disagree, in that you're talking about a thread on drygloves. You're not getting a lot of respondees from the Mayan Riviera or Florida here.

I don't think I did a single dive last year where the surface temperature cracked the 70 mark. And if you get a ring system - you can have the seal AND the drygloves.

Mo2vations comments notwithstanding - I wouldn't compromise one for the other.

Doole - I would disagree, in that you're talking about a thread on drygloves. You're not getting a lot of respondees from the Mayan Riviera or Florida here.

Right - I meant on the entire board.

I don't think I did a single dive last year where the surface temperature cracked the 70 mark. And if you get a ring system - you can have the seal AND the drygloves Mo2vations comments notwithstanding - I wouldn't compromise one for the other..

So too with the zipseals, as I understand it - what have I missed?

doole:

Right - I meant on the entire board.

I don't think I did a single dive last year where the surface temperature cracked the 70 mark. And if you get a ring system - you can have the seal AND the drygloves Mo2vations comments notwithstanding - I wouldn't compromise one for the other..

With Zip Seals, there is no wrist seal in between the glove and the rest of the suit. Puncture your gloove, your arm floods.

With drysuit rings, you [should] maintain the wrist seal as well, so the glove and suit are [mostly] separate.

doole:

Zip seals mean you have the glove on the end of the suit... there is no latex seal. You puncture the blue glove, you got lots of cold water rushing into your sleeve and into your suit. No bueno.

Ring gloves - you puncture a glove, the glove fills - not your suit, because you still have your latex wrist seal to prevent the suit from flooding because of a simple glove breach.

For me, I selected to go the zip gloves because I don't bounce off of stuff that sharp, I don't penetrate wrecks, and I'm never in an overhead or incurring a deco obligation that would prevent me from coming topside early.

I also don't go lobstering in them.

There are trade offs. I like the zips with the soft rings. I fear the suit breach that comes with their design. I like the quick change to seals for wet gloves for lobstering or other high-tactile activities. I fear their high replacement cost.

Your call. Boog is right - you got to consider not just how you're diving today, but how you will be diving. As I said, when I do it agian I'll likely get a snap-in ring system. Replacement gloves are only a few bucks then... not $168 a pair.

---
Ken

I bought a pair of dry gloves and im back to using my wets.

I found them very fiddly to put on, lacked some dexterity and all together not as useful as wets.

I just got a new custom DC Ultra-flex and I specifically ordered the DC dry gloves with rings. Up here in the Great Lakes we have a nasty critter called zebra mussels that are extremely sharp and will cut up a glove in no time flat. So having an intact seal saves me from experiencing the cold rush of 30 something degree water up my entire arm. I would much rather lose dexterity in one hand than my whole body!
Although there is a loss of dexterity inherent in dry gloves, I have found that it's still much better than when I wear 3 finger mitts (about the only wet glove that keeps my hands adequately warm for an hour+ dive in 32-48 degree water)

Bob

String:
I bought a pair of dry gloves and im back to using my wets.

I found them very fiddly to put on, lacked some dexterity and all together not as useful as wets.

Well, there are variations in types. I couldn't find any of the blue ones i liked so I just bought rings and made my own. Perfect fit.

R..

jonnythan:
With Zip Seals, there is no wrist seal in between the glove and the rest of the suit. Puncture your gloove, your arm floods.

With drysuit rings, you [should] maintain the wrist seal as well, so the glove and suit are [mostly] separate.

If you maintain the wrist seal you need to use a tube of some kind to allow air passage between suit and glove. I researched the reliability of the DC dry gloves and decided not to maintain the wrist seal. I like not having to deal with a tube to equalize the gloves. The downside is of course if I punctured my glove my suit would flood.

I had this experience in 35 degree F water three weeks ago - my glove was damaged on the surface and I did not know it - not a major puncture but water streamed in immediately upon descent. The fleece glove liners and of course water repelling undergarments allowed me to dive for 18 minutes until my hand/arm was uncomfortable. Even in icy water it's not as critical as you would think. You want to take great care to avoid sharp objects.

--Matt

--Matt

... asking if you prefer dry gloves over latex seals...
Ain't that like trying to compare apples to roller skates? :11:

Don't ya REALLY wanna know if drygloves are preferred over wet?
Heck, I could go on & on just comparing the different cuff types... :wink:

Poll: Would I recommend dry gloves when...:
Drygloves are indicated when in contaminated water, when hands need to be kept dry, (as when having open wounds or damaged cracking skin from prolonged exposure to the cold & wet) or if a person just likes to have dry hands.
A good 3-finger "semi-wet" mitt will keep my hands toasty for 4 hours in 28°f water, something not all the drygloves are capable of doing.
It mostly cooks down to personal preference & the type of diving a person is doing, & whether the gloves/mitts are appropriate for the task at hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom