we're all friends here... let's talk p valves and sensitive bits...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could be any or all.
Measure your width flaccid. Drop down to the next smaller size.
They come in 45, 40, 35, 32, 29, 25, and 23mm.
If you measure at 35mm, buy a 32, if you measure at 32, buy a 29 and so on. If you need the 45mm after dropping down a size, we can't be friends.
It should be a snug but not uncomfortable fit. Apply in the morning after you shower and let it dry well. Don't use fancy soaps with moisturizers. If you have a water softener, clean it again with some rubbing alcohol.
If you still have issues with it coming off, try a product called skin-prep. You can get the pads on amazon. It will stick after you use that. When you are done diving for the day, if it is still stuck incredibly well, just cut the tip off and remove the rest in a warm shower later.

I shower night before with whatever soap my wife uses that's in the dish, we have a water softener, I don't use prep in the am and my Rochester's stick almost too well.

Your approach is great, it covers everything needed that "could" be the issue, I'm just saying that not all of that is needed for everybody and it just depends.... and don't worry, we can still be friends:)

I'll also admit that in the summer when there's a good sweat in the heat it's a lot easier to remove the catheter... so cold water diving helps me in that area. I've never had one malfunction even after 8 hours in the heat, but it felt like it would be close.

I shower night before with whatever soap my wife uses that's in the dish, we have a water softener, I don't use prep in the am and my Rochester's stick almost too well.

Your approach is great, it covers everything needed that "could" be the issue, I'm just saying that not all of that is needed for everybody and it just depends.... and don't worry, we can still be friends:)

I'll also admit that in the summer when there's a good sweat in the heat it's a lot easier to remove the catheter... so cold water diving helps me in that area. I've never had one malfunction even after 8 hours in the heat, but it felt like it would be close.
I know other guys like that as well. Screw you guys.
Some people just have naturally dry skin and stuff sticks. I have never been one of those guys. I fought with the glue for 5 years before I found the apply after shower and a rubbing alcohol wipe down. After that, I rarely ever had issues. Last trip to Florida I tried those skin-prep wipes that somebody recommended. Holy crap those are amazing. If you don't have issues with adhesion, I don't recommend you use them. They work incredibly well. I couldn't believe how stuck it was even in the shower that evening.

I was able to get in two cold water (52 deg F) dives this morning and tried for the first time, the turtle method (I guess that's what we're calling it thanks to my "visual" described a few pages back - LOL) for cath donning. It took three cath-donning tries to get it right with my anatomy and to where it was relatively comfortable to wear. The turtle method did work way better to get the head more up into the cath dome and there was less glue on the head at the end, but it just wasn't as comfortable for me compared to my tried and true condom method. To each their own, but in the end for me, using a combination of the turtle and condom methods (a hybrid version I guess) worked the best for me. Successful flow twice at depth, which is a rarity for me.

Whoo Hoo I belive i have figured out what my issues are. Thanks to all who have helped me get this figured out very much appreciated .. Frist the Skin Prep amazing stuff helped me a ton, the size of the cath wasn't the issue it was hose routing and trimming the cath down to the size of the QD. Apparently the routing i had was binding the cath not allowing flow thus causing the pressure to separate the cath from the shaft.

Whoo Hoo I belive i have figured out what my issues are. Thanks to all who have helped me get this figured out very much appreciated .. Frist the Skin Prep amazing stuff helped me a ton, the size of the cath wasn't the issue it was hose routing and trimming the cath down to the size of the QD. Apparently the routing i had was binding the cath not allowing flow thus causing the pressure to separate the cath from the shaft.
Trimming the “nipple” for lack of a better term is one of the most important things for this
879526ED-0759-490F-BCE9-E3C3D397F374.jpeg
534D3CAB-583A-4DB7-90CC-851E934548E3.jpeg
5877F98E-6E85-4C22-A551-A5E42E0FD686.jpeg

it’s amazing how easily backpressure can break the glue/junk seal.

Oh I am very Aware of how easy the back pressure can break the glue. I guess I just thought there was supposed to be that much backpressure and I had to try and regulate the flow. However finding that the cath was "pinched" by my underwear and shorts because I didn't trim it. When I rerouted the hose and trimmed the cath tip it was amazing the difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom