Went to Crystal River today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll pass on diving with gators

If you are diving in florida freshwater, you are diving with gators.

-V

It is quite possible that you were diving in high tide. The river stops flowing and everything is murky. Check the tide tables and dive on an outgoing tide. The viz will be clear. Is this clear?
When you rented the boat did you have to step down from the dock to get into it? And when you returned did the dock seem a lot lower to the boat? If so the tide was coming in. . . murky.

RedBull-

I am sorry you had such a bad experience. We run several winter trips to the crystal river each year and yes some trips are better than others. We typically head to 3 sisters out of the Crystal River Dive Lodge for about 1.5 hours and then head off to King Spings weher you can play in the cavern and pay homage to the Manatee statue. When we went in December the Manatees were abundant. Our group went this weekend and said the manatees were few and far between and yes the viz was awful, but at least it wasn't 32 degrees :D.

Please don't give up. I find the interaction with these creatures awesome and definetly worth the time.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I've done Crystal River and the springs several times and have always had fun. This year there were alot of divers at King Springs, so the viz was poor and it was really too crowded.

Our best dive was at night in Three Sisters. We were coming up the narrow passage to the springs and a very large manatee was making his way out at the same time. I was in front, so I found myself face to face with a 1,000 lb manatee about 9 or 10 feet long. It was awesome. When we came back to the boat, there were 5 manatees around it. One was a very new baby, another small one and the other three must have been adult females. We also dive in Devil's Den and do a drift dive on Rainbow River.

Try Crystal River Dive Lodge. I don't think you will be disappointed with them.

My first trip to CR was a self guided jonboat experience. Saw one manatee briefly and wasted alot of time.

The second trip to CR we booked with Bird's Underwater and the experience was top notch! More manatee than I could count, comfy enclosed pontoon boat and hot chocolate to warm up after swimming with the manatee.

Bill Oestrich, owner of Bird's Underwater, runs a class operation in addition to being a first class instructor of a myriad of courses, cave being his primary. You can't go wrong with Bird's.

Ditto the regret at your Crystal River [CR] experience. I went there one time, in February 2005, and it was wonderful. I plan to go again tomorrow, with a group. Last time, we rented a pontoon boat and it was great [no cigarette butts on the deck!]. I don't remember the name of the operator, but it seemed to be associated with a motel.

We first went to King Spring and it was fine to see the little manatee statue and dive to the spring outlet. Manatees had been there, as reported by some snorklers there, but we didn't see any. It was a worthwhile stop, though, with maybe 20 ft. vis.

Here is a shot from down at the spring entrance there:

But then we went to Three Sisters, and that was really great! It was a bit of an adventure, but lots of fun, for this ol' fella going against the stream that flowed into the river, in very shallow water with scuba gear on, but it was itself a great experience. But once in there, I can't express how splendid it was! Grear vis and manatees all about, resting [don't disturb!] and swimming about, solo and in pairs.

I also swam the margins, looking at fish in the tree roots, etc., and it was just crystal clear!

So, I guess it all depends on time of day, luck of the draw, etc.

PS: this is my first post with pics, and my first gallery creation on here>> thanks to the folks in the photo forum and here for the encouragement>> more later!? :)

Bill,
Nice pics with the Sea Cows. I wanted to point out that the Port Hotel and Marina is an operation that I've booked several trips with great success. (Ironically, I've planned maybe 5-6 of these trips and have yet to go on one.) I've snorkeled Crystal River, but the river was up, thus bad vis. Hopefully Sunday will be great. Any encouraging reports??

Hey Bill, awesome pics you attached in your post! Of course I've seen all the great pics you took there before, and I am really looking forward to diving with you and the rest of the group- with the manatees- at CR tomorrow! :)

I have family that live over there on the water, I was going to go give it a try today just to get out of the house but my buddy had something come up and I don't like diving alone. After diving go North from Kings Spring, past the marina to the far NE you'll see a place called Crackers. Get yourself a Grouper sandwhich (awesome) and ice cold beer :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom