Wendy's Ginnie Springs Encampment and Dive Party

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK, OK gulls and bouys, here is the new thread about Wendy's next diving pah-tay! Count me in! :tease:

Ok I don't know how my name got on this idea, it was 8buck's idea. But I guess I can co-host if he wants my help.

So here is the idea.

Camping and diving at Ginnie Springs Sept. 5, 6, 7 (Friday-Sunday).

Some info on costs:

Its $27 + tax to dive there. They have an air fill station (no nitrox, I don't think), but nitrox can be filled in High Springs at Extreme Exposure.

Camping is $16 a night for tent camping. They have a cottage that sleeps 4 folks for $150 a night. I suggest if you want to attend once we decide that this is a go that you each call and make your reservations for your camp site. There are bathrooms and showers at Ginnie.

For more info: www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com

Dive info: When I did this dive for scubabaord back in May we did 3 or 4 dives. We did one dive in the Main Ginnie Basin and the Ballroom (which is a cavern that is "safe" for open water divers. If you are wanting to see if overhead diving is for you, this is a good place to see if its really for you.

After a short surface interval on the surface we did a very shallow dive (or snorkel) down the spring run to the river.

Then we changed sites and dived the other sections of this facility, Little Devil, Devil's Eye, and Devil's Ear. You can swim down about 35' or so into Little Devil (the system here doesn't go anywhere unless you are side mount cave diving). There are entrances to the cave system in Devil's Eye and Ear, but unless you are cavern or cave certified, please don't dive into these sites, please remain in the open water area, outside the cavern entrances. I know we are all adults and I can't tell you what to do, but I take this serious, and I would be upset if anyone on a trip I co-host dies cuz they wanted to see what the inside of the area they weren't trained to go into looked like (steeping down from my soapbox ). So we can get 3-5 dives (or more) at Ginnie Springs.

I think the Ginnie dives should be done on the Saturday (Sept.6th). Folks can arrive either Friday night and camp, or get there early Saturday morning. For Sunday night we can plan a day at another one of the springs after camping at Ginnie for the night. Not far (in an hour driving range) is Devil's Den, Blue Grotto, and Paradise Springs. I would't mind doing Blue Grotto. I think their website is down, but here is some info on a friend of mine's site. http://www.wadespage.com/D800DS02RF03.shtml

So what does everyone think? Keep in mind that it's not even 9am yet, so I am not sure how well my mind is working, so if anything sounds crazy, that's the reasin, I swear.

A scubaBoard outing on a weekend I have off! :thumb: I'd love to come out and meet some of you, so I'm up for a Saturday dive. I don't think I'll be camping, but count me in in the water!!

Doesn't Bill R. have a new shop right near there? He'll have any gas you want and I would expect at a good price.

YaHoo!!!!! Another ScubaBoard excursion. It looks like that weekend is a go for me and my crew, they like camping and can swim around on top.

This time maybe we will get to see Wendy live up to that Team Margarita bumber sticker she has. I've been know to down several gallons myself.

If we have half the fun that we had at Venice it will be a great time.

Wildbill:D

Mike & others,

Rennaker's other shop is open and is closer to Ginnie than EE (also a little cheaper). He is banking 32%.

Stacey

Would love to dive Ginnie Springs but my cousin is getting married that weekend 8/5 - 8/7 ;-0

Looks like Debbraey & I will just have to catch the next outing :)

Off to Cozumel & Belize tomorrow :D so may do some of the springs in Hudson County on 8/30.

Enjoy all and be SAFE out there. Masks are making it on the endangered species list in salt water :mean:

sounds like fun! don't kow if I can make it or not yet. How far is it from ft lauderdale?
any bubble watchers going that can watch little bubbles also?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom