Well they didn't train us this way.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unwantedsn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So a few weekends ago I had my 1st "this dive didn't go the way we planned" moment. There were a lot of things I took away from this dive, even though it was really short.
Here are the details.
New dive site, 7.5 hour drive from home.
Planned depth 80' (aka deep hole for this place)
Planned time: unknown, 1st time either of us have been there and the 1st dive of our trip, but it was assumed 5mins at depth, then come back up to 40' to see what else the site has to offer.
Now for the actual issue. We descended relatively quickly but with no issues. Around 40' vis went from 15' to around 5. By 60' vis was about 2'. By 80' we hit bottom, and I was starting to 2nd guess my 1200 lumen light. We were on the bottom, but near the buoy line and I was starting to get chilly and my head was starting to feel the effects of the 47deg water. I signaled that it was time to ascend back to 40' for better vis and temps. We start our ascent and at 75' his reg starts to free flow. He takes his reg out, shakes it violently and puts it back in his mouth for a few breaths. Then he takes it back out and tries to put his thumb on the mouth piece to try and stop it. That didn't work so I suggested we buddy breathe our way back up. He declines and says lets go up, im ok. We start to make our ascent, he's watching his computer and I've got my hand on my reg ready to donate. Surprisingly once we make it to 15' he says that he's bypassing the safety stop, so I let him go and he made his way up to the surface. I was 2mins into my safety when all of a sudden he comes up from behind me and gives me the OOA signal, so we buddy breathe for the remainder of my safety stop, so I signal that I'm ready to go up, but his computer is PO'ed that he blew his stop so he wants to stay for another 4mins. While looking at his computer i see that he's totally empty and that our depth is wavering between 15'-25'. Trying to achieve neutral buoyancy is rather difficult when hes fin kicking to keep us up and I'm also dumping air to not shoot up to the surface. Once his computer was pleased we hit the surface.
He said that he was just going to surface swim back to shore, but he didn't want to leave me, that's why he came back down for a safety stop. He was also struggling on the surface because he "couldn't add any air to his bc" I reminded him that he could in fact manually inflate it... It was kind of funny yet interesting to see the Light Bulb turn on when I told him that.
We made our long surface swim back to shore, and he tells me that its a known issue with his reg to free flow at depth.. I was not pleased about that, but he said that he had just had it serviced and wanted to see how it would do at depth as it works fine in <50'
He was telling an instructor what had happened. Naturally the instructor was upset that he didn't air share and he blew the safety stop. My buddies reply was to point at me and say proudly "he has is stress and rescue cert, so I knew i could take risks"
Things that I learned: Divers can be unpredictable. I have dove with my insta-buddy 5 times prior.
Safe 2nds are nice, until you're trying to buddy breathe and control your buoyancy, I can see why a true octo would have been good for this situation.

Glad you had a clear head and stuck to your training. Could have gone badly in many directions.

Particularly happy you were there to remind him to inflate his bcd... he had signs of ditching weights while struggling at the surface?

Cameron

I wouldn't dive with that guy again. So many options here and none were taken. Are you sure he was certified?

First, his deviant behavior of diving with known bad gear. That decision impacts you as well, and it's not uncommon the bad diver kills the good diver too.

He could have kinked the hose and switched to his octo, assuming it was the second that failed. At a minimum he could have feathered the hose to breath and preserve gas.

Unaware of those options he should have taken your second and shut down his tank. This preserves his gas and give him the chance of surviving should the two of you get separated. Since it sounds like he was not diving a balanced rig.

Not knowing to oral inflate is a big issue. Not dropping weights when negative and struggling on the surface is another big issue. He should not have gone back down negative with an empty tank.

The reason your integrated octo inflator didn't work well here is because you were diving with a terrible diver.

Glad you survived. He could have killed you.

There was no signs of ditching weights. It wasn’t that he was going to drowned per say, at the surface, but he would have had a heck of a time to swim back.
Bending the 2nd stage hose, I’ve never heard or thought of that, but now that you mention it, it makes a lot of sense. If you do kink that hose, do they unkink well? Granted your life is worth more than that hose, but atomic is proud of those with the swivel built in.
I learned a lot from this dive, a lot of my rescue / emergency procedures have been with a diver who’s bcd was used for ascent speed control. In this instance I found using my own safe 2nd awkward for depth control.

Did you think about doing a dive or two more shallow to check conditions, gear, team skills etc. before dropping right in to 80 feet? 80 feet, in butt cold water, with low visibility, after an almost 8 hour drive, at a brand new site seems risky to me, especially if your dive counter is correct under your Avatar. I have a fair amount of experience with conditions like you mentioned. Not something I would have done.

Sorry I should have been more specific, the dive site was 8hrs away, but we stayed in a hotel the night prior, so we were well rested. As far as an easy dive to start out with, sure we could have done that, and looking back maybe we should have. But, I was unaware that his reg was known to free flow at depth, but in his defense he had it serviced since then. Buuut being a good buddy he should have said something about it prior.

Did you mean buddy breath? To me that is when you share the same reg. You said you were prepared to hand off a reg.

Safe 2nds are nice, until you're trying to buddy breathe and control your buoyancy, I can see why a true octo would have been good for this situation.

Safe 2nds, I guess what in the UK we call AutoAir's.
They where popular in the 80's/90's, in the UK, then we got wise. Its either a standard Octopus, or a longhouse.

They are OK in optimal conditions, unfortunately, most Out of Gas incidents are not optimal. UK diving visibility is also very variable. Hence there popularity has reduced significantly.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't dive with someone using one, if I was on a standard scuba set. I normally carry my own redundancy, (either CCR, or OC), so its a moot point.

I almost noticed you mentioned buddy breathing. That was dropped as a valid rescue option a long time ago in the BSAC, AAS (Octopus) now. Too many bad outcomes in a real OOA incidents. I remember doing Buddy Breathing assessments from 20m (66ft) as an instructor, very few went well, and that was a low stress environment.

Either get a regular Octopus, or a long hose (much preferred).

Gareth

An additional thing sticks out to me that hasn't been mentioned.

Out of air is an emergency. Safety stops are recommended but optional. Buddy breathing (sharing a single secondary reg) is still an emergent situation in my opinion. That calls for a safe, controlled, but direct ascent to the surface.

If, after resolving the OOA with my buddy on my Octo, my buddy and I were comfortable in our ascent, I would be OK with doing a safety stop. But if there were any hesitancy or uneasiness, I would still opt for a safe controlled direct ascent to the surface.

Also...
He should not have gone back down negative with an empty tank.

Right? Who does this????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom