Well, gonna get kicked out when she finds out...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Wally,

listen to scuba baby, she is on to something here -
Remember - a house, truck, anything in the kichen is not a toy - it is a neccesity - without that you would not be married - mention that as your justification and instant doghouse awaits...

Here is what I do -
Memorize her sizes, so you can always pick up nice little stuff for her - then make a habbit out of giving flowers, drop by her work with stuff for a coffee break or lunch you made yourself (TRUST me, this scores MAJOR points becasue every other girl in that office will spend the rest of the day telling your wife "how lucky she is").

Now, the key to this plan is to execute randomly without any reason - alas - you can NOT ever, bring her flowers and tell her that you bought a tank - this will have negative consequences because she will then associate nice stuff with some sneakyness.

The point of the plan is to make her so happy about you that when you are not doing things behind closed curtains, she is more than happy to let you get anything you want...

Naturally, this can be spiced up with the occasional breakfast in bed, or even better, put a special dive on the calendar and mark it with red ink - something she will understand is big. (Make sure you are not planning a dive that weekend).
Then on Friday go pick her up from work early and take her to a romantic bed and breakfast when she knows that you had a big dive - she WILL ask you about that and you can just tell her that you felt that spending some time with her was more important...

This is how you get your way!

Good luck,
Big T

Agreed -- the truth never works when dealing with a non-diving wife/SO. I've tried the "honey you should take up diving" route -- no dice.

Method 1 -- outright deceipt. Hide the purchase from her. If she finds it, tell her you are borrowing it from a friend. Big downside if she finds out the truth......:fury:

Method 2 -- advance deposit in the "wife account". Wine her, dine her, buy her things she's always wanted. Warning -- you need to do these things BEFORE you buy the gear or they may be totally worthless (in fact they may make the situation worse). And whatever you do, as WetDane says, don't let her find out that all of these niceties are simply a scheme ;-)

my $0.02.

You dog you !!!!!!! Man you ought to write a book. :D That was priceless.

Butch :peace:

Why thank you Butch -
One simply tries to help the fellow divers...

Big T

As has been suggested, bribery is really the only way out of this and you will have to pay big-time, Tex. Pre-emptive strikes work MUCH better than after the fact. You should buy her something real nice for your, er, her pickup. Like new mudflaps, but not those ones with the shiny female outline popular among the trucking set. Or a new toolbox for the truckbed lettered "I'm Available - Stupid's Out Diving".:p
Terry

Originally posted by scubadweeb
Laine has the RIGHT answer, Mr. TxDeepDiver. A good rule of thumb is to spend at least twice (yes, that's times 2) the amount on her than you did on yourself! Honey, it's soooo easy to keep us ladies happy...honest!

:D

Jeez scubadweeb I don't know what to say, you may have solved all us mens money problems. We overspend (just a bit) then the solution is to multiply that times 2 and we get out of the doghouse if we spend it on you ladies...

There is some flaw in that logic, I am sure of it. Maybe it is because you forgot....

"And get her a nice diamond ring..."
"And some chocolates to make her 'In the mood' before giving her the diamond"
"Then allow her to redecorate the whole house, new everything, money is no object...."
"Call 1 800-bankrpt to get back on an even keel"

If it was me doing this I would just stick with the original lie....

:wink:

Syruss, honey. I didn't forget those things! I didn't realize that the obvious little "extras" needed to be pointed out also. LOL

Is to get to the point where the obvious littel extras does not need to be pointed out - as a matter fact - don't ever point anything out - you are trying to reason with a mind that wants to be spoiled - last time I checked - R-E-A-S-O-N did not spell spoiled and it is not going to work...

:wink:

Big T
(aka - gods gift to women)

Originally posted by TxDeepDiver
hey I've got it. Tell me what you think about the strong stance;
'Honey, I bought a new tank that cost me 250.00, yes it was a necessity. Keep in mind I did buy you a house last year and a truck this year, so I think I am justified..'

So how bad will that go over? Wait what was that sharp pain in my rear, oh that must have been the door hitting it....

Do all of you fellows have this problem? I never get on my husband's case for buying anything. (He's a mountain biker. ) Of course in all fairness, he doesn't spend money we don't have and we don't have children to worry about.

I wouldn't recommend the "I bought you a house strategy". Things like houses should be considered mutual ownership, at least in my opinion. I would be very hurt if my husband suggested the house and the car were gifts bought with "His" money. But in return, I don't make him ask permission to buy his toys.

Granted, I've never met your wife, but I'm sure she's a lovely lady. Just tell her you wanted your own tank and give her a chance to be understanding. Don't act like you've done something wrong though "unless you've spent your kids college money or something." Everyone is entitled to a new toy once in a while.

Well, good luck.

Kimmie

Wally

Take a look at this thread.....you might pick something up to help you out of this sticky situation!

Women's Secrets

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom