Weirdest/Eeriest Discoveries Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackwater (near 0 viz river) diving, closed my gloveless hand on a rotten (yet puggy) something. Instinctively pulled away in revolution and was unable to locate it again. Still hoping it wasn't the remains of a missing friend from a boating mishap earlier in that summer. Perhaps dead eel? Texture haunting.
Probably not, or you would have felt bone under remnants of flesh. My guess would be a used, non-biodegradable, disposable diaper. Sorry, i guess that’s not an improvement on your memory.

Probably not, or you would have felt bone under remnants of flesh. My guess would be a used, non-biodegradable, disposable diaper. Sorry, i guess that’s not an improvement on your memory.

Unfortunately, very familiar with running into those. Not it. That would help the memory though. So thank you for the suggestion.

Perhaps better described as bloated skin, not meat falling off bones.

I've come across a decomposing dog/wolf underwater which felt more like deteriorated flesh. Perhaps a moose leg as well, but that was fresh (fresher) and still furry...

Yuck. These are the stories I don't recount.

Cameron

(Here's a better one. Last month laying line in a cenote, came face to face with a pair of skulls, laid beside fairly orderly stacked rib bones. At a depth of 23ft and 670ft from the dry passage, suspect they were laid there before the water level rose. A little eery, remnants of the ancients.)

Last edited:
I found a dead rotting sea lion on the bottom on the sand down in Socal.

Another time, I was called to go do a salvage dive at the local wharf. There were so many crab shells and fish carcasses on the bottom that it was a little strange, and no stars or live crabs feeding on any of the trash. That made it stranger.

A buddy of mine reported finding a headless harbor seal rolling around on the bottom once up here in Norcal. You know what that means, right? Whitey!

My buddy and I were tieing off our float tube in 25 feet of water before a dive at one of our local lakes. Viz was around 10 feet. After I tied off the tube, I looked up at my buddy and faintly saw something suspended mid water behind him that was covered in alge. weird. I swam up to it, and found it was a dead duck with fishing line wrapped around its neck. The body was boyant, but the line around it's neck held it down, so it was just suspended there. Seen a lot of wierd and gross crap underwater, but That was one of the more bizzare!

Marine life nibbling on illegal immigrants' human remains underwater (lots of bodies parts from many bodies). Human remains from all genders, age (it is the most terrible moment when you see a child's body parts floating in the water), race, etc. above and below the surface. Worst when you bump into a body or part of a body during a night dive and realize what you bumped into few minutes later after you shine your dive light on it. It happens after boat load of illegals sinks offshore and the sea brings in the bodies. I can go on with most disgusting and terrifying details about it but I won't here, it is a most terrible horror show.

Marine life nibbling on illegal immigrants' human remains underwater (lots of bodies parts from many bodies). Human remains from all genders, age (it is the most terrible moment when you see a child's body parts floating in the water), race, etc. above and below the surface. Worst when you bump into a body or part of a body during a night dive and realize what you bumped into few minutes later after you shine your dive light on it. It happens after boat load of illegals sinks offshore and the sea brings in the bodies. I can go on with most disgusting and terrifying details about it but I won't here, it is a most terrible horror show.
So many tragedies! Were you working on a body recovery operation, or were you not expecting to find this?

As a public safety diver I have found/seen my share of human remains. With that being said, the strangest thing I found was during a recovery dive for a handgun in a local quarry. We were told it was wrapped in a towel and thrown in. I was doing my sweep in about 60 ffw and zero vis and felt a hard object wrapped in something soft. I grabbed it thinking I found the gun, rose up a bit to get out of the silt and shined my light on 2 large eyes staring at me. After regaining my composure I had discovered I found a stuffed Garfield with a rock tied around it. Scared the crap out of me. Needless to say we never located the gun and found out later that the suspect sent us on a wild goose chase.

This one is a lot less macabre but no less weird or eerie. A couple summers ago my wife and I were in Toronto and decided to do some diving. There is a training area in Humber Bay and we figured we would check it out before signing up for one of the local boat tours. Training site is pretty standard; mannequins, toilets, 14' boat, large cement sewer segment for swim through, all well lined. We had checked it out on line prior so were not surprised by the toilet or mannequins. We completed our dive; fun but uneventful. We swam towards the shore and stopped for our safety stop just about where the large brake water rocks start. We both laid on the bottom propped up on our elbows. As soon as I settled in I noticed gobbies coming in to take a look. There must have been 10-20 of them and they formed a perfect semi-circle in front of me. It felt like something out of Outer Limits Sandkings episode. I poked at a few and they backed away and then reformed the semi-circle. I looked over at my wife and she was also poking at her semi-circle of gobbies. I feel we may be the cause of the first gobbie religion.

So many tragedies! Were you working on a body recovery operation, or were you not expecting to find this?

No, wasn't expecting anything at all the first few times but now I expect it. I wasn't working on recoveries. It doesn't happen all of the time, infrequently depending on the immigration activities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom