weird e-mail

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they know your account # and routing info they can take every dime in the account.

hmm, in switzerland that is absolutely impossible. so i guess that's why i don't know this.
some dumb bank system some ppl have wherever that is possible. wow, that is crazy.

or am i missing something? how is that supposed to work?

anyhow nevermind. let me know if you would like my bank account number and clearing number, wouldn't mind a donation or two :wink: :)

@tech admin thanks for the info.

underwater daphne:
hmm, in switzerland that is absolutely impossible. so i guess that's why i don't know this.
some dumb bank system some ppl have wherever that is possible. wow, that is crazy.
You just referred to pretty much the rest of the world outside of Switzerland. The scam is a little more complicated than just some joe shmoe having your banking details and walking down to the bank pretending to be you and trying to withdraw.

Scubaroo:
You just referred to pretty much the rest of the world outside of Switzerland. The scam is a little more complicated than just some joe shmoe having your banking details and walking down to the bank pretending to be you and trying to withdraw.

i still can't imagine a thing like this happening. i didn't know this was possible anywhere. do you know the scam?

maybe ppl are spreading the word that it is possible, but it's actually impossible and someone believed it and started trying to scam ppl with no luck?

The so called Nigeria scam is very alive and works extremely well... if you have someone's account information (routing # and account #) you can literally print checks that clear from their bank, it is no myth and this is why every financial intuition tells its customers to check their statements diligently. If you want to verify this for yourself simply sign up for online payment for any utility or phone service; if you opt for automatic payments they will only ask you for a few little numbers off your check and from that point on they get all the money they want without a single action or notification on your part.

I get about 1 of those emails per day - usually from Nigeria, Fiji or Saudi Arabia. Another similar one lately has been the telephone call using telex, offering to buy your product using a credit card, but being overseas they then back off the charges with their cc company after receiving the product and you have no recourse (at least in the USA) - this one has been very popular on Ebay for some time now, which is why most folks won't sell to overseas customers unless it's a cashier's check or similar. Now they are targeting businesses and small "mom & pop" shops. (I get one of these calls per week at a retail outlet where I work part-time)

All the scams out there - usually the best way of avoiding any scam is just to remember that a "get rich quick scheme" is just that . . . a scheme. It's better to work diligently and wisely.

Tim

Yah, I get requests for a dozen Stingers from someone in Malaysia; I refer them to Leisure Pro, even though I do sell the critters. :D

"Dumb Crook Story" ; someone I know was recently the victim of a robbery, lost their checkbooks along with a bunch of other stuff.
Idjitt crooks had signed up to have their utility bills paid from said checking account.
*duh*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom