Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One or more of the following reasons:

1) That's the amount of weight necessary, according to the exposure protection and equipment they are using.

2) They were over-weighted in training (easier for the instructor) and haven't effectively revised their weighting since then.

3) They don't effectively revise their weighting when changing their equipment (i.e. cold water diver on a warm water vacation).

4) They have difficulty descending because of incorrect technique, thus assume that wearing more weight is the solution.

How do you figure out your percentage of body fat? What's a high amount and what's a low amount?

Edit: I followed Wikipedia's BMI-based fat calculator and got 17%, but it felt like shenanigans.

Most gyms will use calipers to measure fat in several parts of your body, factor in your age height & weight and calculate your BF% or there are scales that will use an very low electric current to run through from one limb to the other measuring resistance with height/weight/age to get BF% . I'm 6'2" 215 lb.s at 15%BF,although after a live aboard lobster trip 7 dives a day after 3 days I came home at 12% BF..cold water & currents are a hell'a of workout.:wink:

Here's a link for BF Chart :http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/body-fat-chart.php

I'm 6ft 192 11% bf, I wear a 3mm full suit 3mm gloves and boot, AL80 tank, I wear 12lbs in salt water.

I'm 6' 5" - 280# with approx 28% bf so I displace alot of water lol!

Wearing a 3 mm full suit and 5mm boots in salt water I use 22# distributed 8 each integrated pocket and 3 each back trim pocket on my bcd

He caverns were in Quintana too Mexico, dos ojos. Definitely the coolest thing I've ever done. We went with aquanauts divers out of puerto aventuras. The thing about the caverns is bouancy control. Too negative you hit the bottom and stir up silt. Too bouiant and you hit the ceiling and destroy a rock formation that's been there for millions of years,

----------

When did yoou dive with Aquanauts? I was in Puerto Aventuras in August and dove with them between 8/15 and 8/26. We dove Dos Ojos on 8/24 and had a great time. I'd recommend that shop to anyone. Long bottom times and very nice people.

Body fat is a funky beast that is dependent on so many variables that it is almost impossible to measure accurately.

One method is by shooting an electric current through you. Some bathroom scales have metal plates that measure your body fat. Alternative method is by holding a joystic thing that does the same.

Another method is by using a caliper. This one is integrating a funky formula that allows you to determine your body fat.

Final way and allegedly most accurate is where you sit in water and something gets displaced etc etc.

Body fat is highly dependent on your hydration level. I usually measure my body fat before I go mountain biking and it would be something like 23%. After 3 hours of riding I measure it again and it says 29%. Difference is in one case my hydration level is low vs high since I chug 5 bottles of water while riding.

Personally, it takes at least 16# of lead for me to sink with a 3mm shorty or a full suit on. I don't use booties or a hood. I'm 72, 5'8" and weigh 165#. My fat to muscle ratio is 25%, about average for my age. I have noticed over the years that I have lost a lot of muscle mass, especially since fighting a battle with cancer and becoming Type 2 diabetic. I've tried to improve on my fat ratio but it's a losing battle. If I am using a backplate with no wing, a harness, a horse collar and a shorty I can get by with around 10#. So consider yourself lucky that you can get by with the amount of lead that you are using.

I have a friend (and his skinny old dad) who swear that as people get old, there really is a drastic increase in buoyancy, and claim that reduced bone density is partially to blame. I always wondered if it were possible.

Something I've seen happening on several recent dives is people overweighting simply because they havent gone to the effort to effectively decend the first 10 feet without it. Maybee it was lack of practice or maybee it was forgotten skills but there seemed to be a big range of experience levels from just qualified to fairly experienced.

From PADI basic weight guidelines.

Swim/dive skin. 1-4 lbs
3mm shortie/full. 5% body weight
5mm full/two piece. 10% body weight
7mm full. 10% bw + 3-5 lbs

ymmv. start above then add/subtract with formal weight/buoyancy check.

In tropics dive skin I use 6 lbs. Cold water diving full 7mm, hood, gloves, booties use 20 lbs, although on occasion like to use 22 lbs as I can get little floaty at end dive if AL tank low to 500 psi. BTW I'm 5' 5" and 136 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom