Weights with Worthington HP100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joeabroad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I finally got to try out my new Worthington HP100s yesteday on an nasty day off Cape Ann, MA. It was a shallow (under 20') dive, and I wasn't sure what the buoyancy would be like, so I used the amount of weight that was just barely enough last summer with AL80s--26 pounds. I went down like a rock, and it was all I could do to keep from bouncing off the bottom all the time, even when half my air was gone. Next time I'll try 22 pounds. In short--believe what they say about the buoyancy characteristics of steel!

joeabroad:
In short--believe what they say about the buoyancy characteristics of steel!

As you should, the difference is 100% objective physics. In fact 19-20 should be right on based on your old weight.

Pete

Those particular cylinders are -10.0 lbs buoyant full, and -2.5 empty. I love mine. I am medium weight and height, and use a dry suit. I wear 22 pounds of weights, and am pretty happy with my trim.

Joeabroad, what brand are your new tanks. I'm looking at the 3442psi Worthington HP 100's with the new thermo valves from PG Dive in Newton. Where did you get yours from? ... Sunday was a nasty day here and I didn't even go near the water.

When I got my worthington 100's, I dropped 6 pounds but was underweighted one dive so I went back ot 24, so overall I dropped 4 pounds. I would try dropping about 5 pounds, like spectrum said.

jheil82:
Joeabroad, what brand are your new tanks. I'm looking at the 3442psi Worthington HP 100's with the new thermo valves from PG Dive in Newton. Where did you get yours from? ... Sunday was a nasty day here and I didn't even go near the water.

That's what I have and that's where I got them. My experience is pretty limited, but I plan on using them forever.

I recently got my first tanks, Worthington LP-85s, with the Thermo convertable valve. I've been having some trouble getting set up so I can reach the valve. Imagine my surprise when I finally noticed that the handle is angled backwards about 30 degrees. Their web site claims this is to make the tank balance easier when carrying it, but to me it seems like an designer was having a bad day. It seems like all their valves are designed this way.

FYI ... I can easily drop 8lbs going from AL80 - to Worthington X7-100.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom