Weights on al 80 cuf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Putting weights on aluminum tanks is the idiots or lazy man's solution.

The only reason an instructor would advise this is because they're clueless about how to dive with aluminium tanks..or too lazy to educate you properly.... and that's quite an unforgiveable professional failing given the vast resources now accessible online.

I have buttplate rails and then one angled and one low profile d-ring on the harness.

The problem with this is that when you switch the attachment forwards you're also raising the relative height of your cylinders (the buttplate being much lower on the torso than the waist belt).

This causes successive knock-on problems (as bad compromises tend to do..). For instance, the raised cylinder now pushes the valve forwards of your armpit.. pushing the valve down and pivoting the rear upwards. It'll also screw with your hose fit..

Last edited:
The problem with this is that when you switch the attachment forwards you're also raising the relative height of your cylinders (the buttplate being much lower on the torso than the waist belt).

This causes successive knock-on problems (as bad compromises tend to do..). For instance, the raised cylinder now pushes the valve forwards of your armpit.. pushing the valve down and pivoting the rear upwards. It'll also screw with your hose fit..

On the sms 75 the buttplate aint so much further down then on other riggs that I've seen. Didnt have any issue with this because I rig the tanks a bit higher before diving with alu.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom